Menu

A very unusual final exam

Penguin

Have any of you run across this story?  The headlines are that a UCSD visual / performance art class required nudity as part of the final exam.  If you read deeper, there were alternative ways to fulfill the assignment.  Apparently he class has been around for a long time, but a mom complained recently which landed the story in the news.  

I think I will remember this story the next time that I need to drive home that point that thoroughly reading the syllabus is a really really good idea!

Article in a San Diego Paper:

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/may/12/ucsd-naked-final-exam/

Article from Inside Higher Ed:

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2015/05/11/it-legitimate-pedagogical-tool-art-professor-ask-students-be-nude-one-class

ETA:  I changed the post title

I wouldn't assume the mother objected contrary to the concerns of the student. I would imagine that if this were an assignment the daughter had looked forward to all semester to might have been something that didn't come up with the parent.

I think it is an awkward assignment, but I'd be the first to admit I think many performance art pieces art overwrought. I could definitely see doing it as part of an acting class for someone going into professional acting.

I thought having the instructor nude was odd. But my son thought it would have been stranger to have the teacher clothed.

I would have been amused to see someone come in with a full shroud or something like hijab and do the assignment.

If the student found the assignment objectionable, then it would have been the student's role to object.  And if that was the case, the time to speak up would be after reading the syllabus which should have happened before the 2nd class even met, if not before registration. 

• Like 2