Menu

Unicorn living math curriculum for precocious 4yo?

My DS3 (he will be 4 in a couple weeks) has kept pace with his brother and basically done kindergarten already. The only academic area he really shows his age is handwriting. Next year I will do the shorter sentences in WWE for copywork/handwriting practice with him. We are going to do OPG to continue learning phonics. Math is where I am struggling. I don't want to redo the K curriculum with him again, but I don't think he is fluent enough in addition/subtraction yet to move to 1st grade math with his brother. So, I'm thinking about doing a year of living math/math games to reinforce concepts in a fun way for both of them while DS5 also does 1st grade math. I don't want to have regrets about pushing DS3 too hard too young but I want to take advantage of his interest and ability. I have been doing a lot of searching but don't really see what I'm looking for already put together. I think what I would love is a clear 36 weeks of lessons with some kind of coherent storybook spine (like Life of Fred but more logical) for Monday, and then games/activities for 3 days, then maybe a worksheet or oral questions or math journal page to demonstrate he has learned the concept on Friday. I know there are soooo many wonderful math living books but I can't buy them all and I am not sure we will get to the library every week.

Anyone know anything like this?

I know there are soooo many wonderful math living books but I can't buy them all and I am not sure we will get to the library every week.

Anyone know anything like this?

I feel the same way about living books: so great, but they take a lot of mental energy, especially if you're going to make a full curriculum out of them. 

This isn't exactly what you're describing, but it's as close as I know of: How about the Math Madness book set from "Now I'm Reading"? It's a set of ten floppy little books (like Bob books) that focus on different math concepts (adding, subtracting, counting by twos, fractions, time, etc.) Each also has three little activities in the back that connect to the book's concept. If you combined that with some addition practice (maybe the RightStart addition card games?) you'd have a nice semester of math for your little guy.

At that point, you might be ready to go on to first-grade level work with him, or you could do something from the Critical Thinking company like Mathematical Reasoning 1 or Hands-On Thinking Skills. 

I feel the same way about living books: so great, but they take a lot of mental energy, especially if you're going to make a full curriculum out of them. 

This isn't exactly what you're describing, but it's as close as I know of: How about the Math Madness book set from "Now I'm Reading"? It's a set of ten floppy little books (like Bob books) that focus on different math concepts (adding, subtracting, counting by twos, fractions, time, etc.) Each also has three little activities in the back that connect to the book's concept. If you combined that with some addition practice (maybe the RightStart addition card games?) you'd have a nice semester of math for your little guy.

At that point, you might be ready to go on to first-grade level work with him, or you could do something from the Critical Thinking company like Mathematical Reasoning 1 or Hands-On Thinking Skills. 

Thanks, Kate! Now, with all your down time, I need you to write this unicorn curriculum and make it available by September :P Seriously, though, your preschool ebook looks great! The Math Madness books look really cute! Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at the Critical Thinking site, too. I love the logic component. I think if we do an addition/subtraction refresher, maybe even over the summer, that he could do 1st grade math with his brother in the fall. Does the Right Start Math Card Games book come with the cards, or do I have to buy them separately? Could I make them if I just buy the book? How many grades will I really be able to use them for? If I have to buy both the book and the cards, I want to justify the cost. I saw that the link you provided was just the addition ones, but if they will love them and use them for awhile in their math lessons, I wonder if it is worth it to buy the whole thing.

Math Lessons For A Living Education I believe fits the story concept you're looking for, but I haven't used it. It's free.

I'll second the RS games. :)

Slache- Thanks! I have to think about it because Book 1 is a ton of review, and if I start partway, we will lose the story aspect, which I think he will really enjoy. Not sure he is ready for Book 2 because of the weakness in general addition/subtraction. But, like I mentioned above, I could work at that over the summer. What are your thoughts on my questions about Right Start (above)?

• Like 1

Do you feel like the book and cards are worth $60? That seems like a lot for a supplement to me. When you break it down per kid per year up to 4th, it isn't bad, depending on how often you use it. 

We're new to this. The games are a replacement for drill it seems to me. All Right Start stuff is expensive in my opinion, but the games are worth it to me. I've never met anyone who didn't like them.

Thanks, Kate! Now, with all your down time, I need you to write this unicorn curriculum and make it available by September :p Seriously, though, your preschool ebook looks great! The Math Madness books look really cute! Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at the Critical Thinking site, too. I love the logic component. I think if we do an addition/subtraction refresher, maybe even over the summer, that he could do 1st grade math with his brother in the fall. Does the Right Start Math Card Games book come with the cards, or do I have to buy them separately? Could I make them if I just buy the book? How many grades will I really be able to use them for? If I have to buy both the book and the cards, I want to justify the cost. I saw that the link you provided was just the addition ones, but if they will love them and use them for awhile in their math lessons, I wonder if it is worth it to buy the whole thing.

Slache- Thanks! I have to think about it because Book 1 is a ton of review, and if I start partway, we will lose the story aspect, which I think he will really enjoy. Not sure he is ready for Book 2 because of the weakness in general addition/subtraction. But, like I mentioned above, I could work at that over the summer. What are your thoughts on my questions about Right Start (above)?

I'll get right on it! ;) 

The $60 package includes both the games and the book. The games are pretty extensive--they include money, time, multiplication and division, and even fractions, so you do get a lot for your money. But of course it all depends on how likely you are to actually pull them off the shelf and use them. (I tend to use them when I'm using the RS curriculum, but then I forget all about them with my son using Beast...) 

Seconding the Right Start games, but I don't think I'd use the Math Madness books as a spine - I saw those and they're so simple - maybe for most 4 yos, but if he's really already at age 3 kept pace with kindy math, then I think they'd be too simple. I get not wanting to buy everything and not wanting to be library dependent, but I think you'd get a lot more mileage out of getting say, Anno's Math Games and a handful of the old I Love Math books used - most of them are available for a penny plus that pesky $3 or $4 shipping, but that's still not much if you just buy three or four of them. All of those are going to have multiple sections and things worth revisiting over a longer period of time.

I used this program/games for my dd when she was a bit younger than that. It is called Gigglemath and is basically a layed-out program for mastering addition and subtraction through games. They are fun, and do work. The games and 'tricks' taught are very much like those in the workbook 'Two plus Two is Not Five'.

http://www.gigglelearn.com

We live the RS games as well:)