Menu

Summer Reading Challenge

So, every year, I put out a summer reading challenge to our local homeschool group. We always celebrate with pizza and ice cream sometime in in September. I was going to change it up a bit with a challenge to complete.

Here are some of the ideas I have. Any others? Also, I'd like to award a special prize for anyone that completes the Tower of Books Challenge. I have zero funds from anyone here, just from my own pocket. Are there any prizes that won't cost money that I can award? I was just thinking a certificate and mention on our local website and facebook page, but something that is more a of a treat would be fun...

Summer Reading Fun

Have your child complete 8 of these challenges to win!

Read a Newberry Award book (or a Caldecott winner for picture books)

Pick either your first name or last name and read a book by an author whose first or last name begins with each letter of your name.

Ask a trusted friend for a book recommendation and read it!

Ask your mom or dad for a book recommendation and read it!

Read a memoir.

Read a nonfiction book.

Start a commonplace book: For every book you read, add at least one quote to your book.

Read a sequel or second book in a series.

Read a book from a genre that you think you hate!

Read a book with more than 500 pages.

Read a book that became a movie.

Listen to an audio book.

Read a book that came out the year you were born.

Read a book based on a true story.

Read a book of poetry.

Read a book you started but never finished. 

Read a classic.

Read a science fiction story.

Tower of Books Challenge: Read a tower of books equal to your height to win a special prize!
  • Like 2

What a great idea, and what cool challenges! I'll have to think on that a while.

I wonder if your local paper might be interested in running a picture of the tower winner(s)? Perhaps a local ice cream store would donate a coupon for a free cone? Other restaurants might give you "free kids meal with purchase" type coupons. I wonder if a local bookstore would be interested in supporting your contest?

ETA What about reading a DIY or project book and completing a project?

• Like 1

I should add that we don't live in the US so we don't really have access to libraries. Things here are run so differently that I doubt somebody would "sponsor" us, but what great ideas. i'll have to see if there is someone I can approach!

Maybe they could do one of those money-thon type things that people give them money for every "foot" of books they read or something..

moonlight, you are making me so excited about summer reading programs!!! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Sorry so long.  I'm excited!

See who can read the widest selection of genre throughout the summer.  Include a list.

Here's a start:
classics

science fiction

fantasy

a book of fairy tales or a novel with fairy tale character(s)
a book of myths or a novel with character(s) or events from a myth (Percy Jackson, etc)
action/adventure/thriller

mystery

poetry

graphic novel

history (nonfiction)

Western

Sports
Award Winner or Honor book

War (this includes "the Resistance," or an occupied state, etc, not just battle).
a play

a Shakespeare play or novelization/story version
a book set in another country besides the U.S.  (Feel free to eliminate all English-speaking countries).
historical fiction
science
math
biography

Make it clear that most people will not read all of these types over 12 weeks, but see how many you can.

Tell everyone to keep a list of:
--title, author, so they can report total number of books
--genre (picture book counts as a genre, for younger readers), so they can report genre number
--number of pages, so they can report total pages for the summer.

If you plan to use the other challenges or reading levels I list below, then make that clear at the beginning of the summer, so kids can plan.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rewards:
Certificates are fine. 
I would steer away from "sponsorship."

Whenever we had sponsorship of reading programs as kids,  it always turned me off.  I was shy and bookish.  To approach friends and neighbors of limited means was too intimidating for me.  You don't want to turn off some of your best readers, and make one of their favorite things into a struggle and a terror.  Also, then the best salesmen win or the ones who have parents with the best network win, rather than the best readers.  BTDT.

If you want to give a prize,
a) give school supplies.  A pencil.  A sheet of stickers.  Pencil-top erasers.  79-page spiral notebooks. 

b) Mini-cans of play-dohGlow-necklaces.  Little toys
c) homemade bookmarks.  There are some cute ideas here, but all you have to do is google "homemade bookmarks" for tons of ideas.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Divide the kids according to reading level for certificates or prizes.  The 4th grader who reads 100 picture books should not be winning "most books" and beating out his 10yo peer who read 35  chapter books.

Determine your level by deciding what you read the most of.
Levels:
1) Picture books (PK - 2nd)
2) Early Chapter - books over 60 pages (3rd-4th)
3) Chapter books - books over 100 pages (5th - 8th)
4) Advanced Chapter - books over 200 pages (9th - 12th)

Exceptions are books of poetry, anthologies, and plays, since they are usually shorter in length.

-----------------------------------------------------
Other Challenges:

Give special awards or certificates for:

1) Most pages read at each level.  Have everyone of that level stand.  Who has read 100 pages? (some will sit down).  150?  200?  250?  etc, etc.  Eventually, only one will be left standing.

2) Most books read at each level.  There may be a tie for this one. Be prepared with an extra certificate.

3) Has anyone read a book that was more than 1000 pages?  Any of yer high schoolers  gonna read War and Peace this summer?  Or Gone with the Wind?  We did in high school, and the process of reading such a long book was invaluable to me.  All of these should be acknowledged with a prize or certificate, if possible.

4) Has anyone read a whole series of more than a trilogy, or at least 10 in a series or by an author?  Narnia?  Percy Jackson?  Harry Potter?  Left Behind?   I list the "at least 10" option because series like Dragon Slayer's Academy, Beast Quest, and Magic Treehouse all have too many to read in a summer.  Likewise, the 8th grader who reads 10 of Shakespeare's plays over the summer should be acknowledged.  All of these should be acknowledged with a prize or certificate, if possible.

5)  Does anyone have a special project they did to share a book?  A diorama?  A lapbook?  A piece of artwork or series of drawings of scenes in the book?  A poster?  A movie?  A website?  All of these should be acknowledged with a prize or certificate, if possible.

• Like 1

-----------------------------------------------------------

Divide the kids according to reading level for certificates or prizes. The 4th grader who reads 100 picture books should not be winning "most books" and beating out his 10yo peer who read 35 chapter books.

Determine your level by deciding what you read the most of.

Levels:

1) Picture books (PK - 2nd)

2) Early Chapter - books over 60 pages (3rd-4th)

3) Chapter books - books over 100 pages (5th - 8th)

4) Advanced Chapter - books over 200 pages (9th - 12th)

Exceptions are books of poetry, anthologies, and plays, since they are usually shorter in length.

an alternative to this is to have the kids count by 15 minute increments. this way if a fourth grader wants to spend 30 minutes reading 100 picture they can, and the 3rd grader who wants to spend all summer reading Harry potter can also.

• Like 1