Menu

Online Classes

My son will be a junior this year and has completed Algebra 2 and Geometry. I was planning to have him continue math at the community college this year but we are going to have several opportunities to travel this year and I know he can't miss that much time from the college campus. I am not sure what to do. Does anyone have suggestions for online classes at this level that he could do wherever we are? 

Asynchronous classes are great for travelers. Are you only looking for math? Pennsylvania Homeschoolers has AP Calculus, but your son may need a Pre-Calc course first. AP Statistics, maybe? Not sure what the prerequisites are gor that one.

If you don't get the answer you are looking for here, maybe try a thread asking about Asynchronous Math or Asynchronous Pre-Calculus.

Obviously, I made the assumption that you are looking for a Pre-Calc, and that may not be the case.

ETA: Derek Owens is also asynchronous.

With an asynchronous class, the student can log on at any time during the week. There are no set times for logging on, but you still have set deadlines. We travel frequently, and coordinating it with live sessions can get tricky.

• Like 1

I recommend Derek Owens for pre-calculus.  He can either take a regular or honors course.  It is completely asynchronous and the student works at his own pace (no set times to turn in homework or take tests).  This is a nice option because you pay monthly (for 9 months).  If it takes the student longer, that is fine, but you only pay monthly for 9 months.  My ds took this class a couple of years ago and it was perfect.  And Derek Owens does ALL the grading!  Very convenient.

• Like 3

My son is taking Pre-Calc this year with Derek Owens.  We have taken math through him the past two years and my son has done really well.  It works great and you can work at your own pace (love this).  The program is very hands off for us busy parents.... my son does everything on his own and I haven't had to do anything.  

• 1 month later...

I recommend Derek Owens for pre-calculus.  He can either take a regular or honors course.  It is completely asynchronous and the student works at his own pace (no set times to turn in homework or take tests).  This is a nice option because you pay monthly (for 9 months).  If it takes the student longer, that is fine, but you only pay monthly for 9 months.  My ds took this class a couple of years ago and it was perfect.  And Derek Owens does ALL the grading!  Very convenient.

If a student finish DO Maths earlier than 9 months then can he move to the next level?Is there homework,tests and assignments with grading in video based option?Is it 58$ monthly?Are the videos same as on lucideducation(which are free)?