Menu

People who do notebooking....how do you do it?

I think I'm looking for pointers, tips, how-tos.  Which subjects?  How do you determine the output, or what your child puts on that blank page?  Do you use pre-printed pages from that mega note booking site?  Do you give your kid a blank journal and do "interactive notebooks"?  Would anyone kindly point a newbie to websites or share pictures of what YOUR notebooks look like?  :D

I do a variety of styles.  I like them to keep a plain notebook for written narrations.

Here is one that I just finished to use in the fall with my 12yo and 10yo.  http://www.lulu.com/shop/paula-van-kuren/a-companion-for-haliburtons-book-of-marvels-the-occident/paperback/product-22175229.html 

I give a bit of guidance, but it's still open-ended.  Here is a downloadable/printable version of the same thing.  https://gumroad.com/l/DaNSz

I have a Nature Journal that I'm loving too.  (Check the homegrown resources at Lulu.com link.)  Printable version.

Blank pages intimidate many students. Just talking a crayon and coloring a border around the edges helps.

Goggle "waldorf main lesson books" and click "images".

Students that have studied color theory, pattern drawing, and zentangles, and have worked on their handwriting, are more comfortable with a blank page.

Waldorf teachers draw on a blackboard and have students copy exactly what is on the board into their notebook. Copying prepares a student for later creativity.

I even have students do math copywork. At this point, I run a year or two "behind" in maths, to work on the student being able to read and write about the math topics they are working on. Being able to do a worksheet isn't the same as being able to set up a problem and solve it  on real paper. First student copy problems, and later on they take them from dictation, and then from real life and projects. 

There is no such thing, here, anymore, of a workbook page of 20 multi-digit subtraction problems.