Menu

Any luck finding test site for AP with accommodations?

I am asking ds's current school to get accommodations for AP testing and other exams for extended time or word processor for handwriting problems due to fine motor issues. If we ever end up homeschooling will it be a nightmare to get a school to allow him to test for AP exam with accommodations?

It's likely to be very area dependent. If you're in an area where homeschoolers generally have access to the PS system and where a lot of kids take AP, it's likely that there will already be someone proctoring the test with accommodations and it wouldn't be a big problem to send him in to do it, but if the schools are hostile to homeschoolers, or if they don't have anyone testing with accommodations (some of the schools in my area that are willing to let homeschoolers test are private schools that, for the most part, don't have anyone with disabilities who needs accommodations), then testing your DS would require a separate proctor, which could get expensive if they're willing to allow it at all. You may want to see what the differences are between the AP exam syllabus and what is covered on the CLEP and be prepared to go either way. CLEP tends to both be easier to get accommodations for (because it's often given by community colleges which tend to have more students who need accommodations and the community college testing centers for walk-in testing often are the same centers administering exams with accommodations to start with) and, for a kid with fine motor issues, may not actually require any.

• Like 1

Some of the schools in our area don't make it easy for homeschoolers to test, but we do have schools that are more than willing to have homeschoolers take tests, and don't even blink when I say my son needs accommodations.

If there are extra costs, I am quick to volunteer to pay the extra costs. So far schools have paid the extra costs themselves.

It's hard to predict.

• Like 1