Menu

LIM College?

Do any of y'all know about LIM College? Right now that is my dd's first choice, but it seriously worries me that they are a for-profit school.

http://www.limcollege.edu/

She wants to go to school in New York City and major in international business. The school needs to be LGBT friendly.

LIM has a one-week non-credit program for high school students that she wants to attend this summer that is reasonably priced and would at least give her some good exposure to the environment of the school and the area. She is hoping to be able to visit some of the other colleges she is interested in during that week.

If you know anything at all about LIM, please let me know.

A few thoughts that might help...

If the cost of college is a concern it may important to know that LIM meets on average 33% of financial need of families. This is very, very low.

I would also suggest looking at graduation rates. Four year graduation rate is 40%. The six year graduation rate is 46%. That would be a be a big concern for me.

Finally for any school in NYC you want to look at availability of housing. Check if there is guaranteed campus housing for first year students and for upperclassmen. Off campus housing can make it more difficult to gauge costs.

• Like 2

I would also suggest looking at graduation rates. Four year graduation rate is 40%. The six year graduation rate is 46%. That would be a be a big concern for me.

Finally for any school in NYC you want to look at availability of housing. Check if there is guaranteed campus housing for first year students and for upperclassmen. Off campus housing can make it more difficult to gauge costs.

Bolding by me. The low graduation rate would actually be less of a concern for me at this particular college. Simply because it has such a narrow focus, it makes sense that many students change their mind about they want to do, and this school doesn't have other majors to switch into the way a big university would. 

So, the narrow focus would concern me just as much as the for-profit status, particularly if the student is potentially passing up good offers from other schools in order to attend. Of course many students transfer and have no problems doing so, but the fact is that the best opportunities and offers tend to come upon high school graduation. (readers, please note I said 'tend to,' and don't bombard me with exceptions, lol, it's just a factor to consider) 

They do seem like a legitimate school (founded 1939) that is well regarded for what they do - which is prepare students for a business career in fashion, period. And I would imagine that NYC is a great place to be for internships and job searching. Does she have a deep and long-standing interest in that? 

OP, how comfortable are you with the idea of her transferring after a year or two? I would not pursue this school unless you are completely okay with that, because I would regard it as more likely than not. About 80% of students change their major at least once, and the average is 3 times! This school has 5 majors, all closely related. 

They do have one dorm but 2/3 of students commute. They don't have a cafeteria but they do have a meal plan with a card that works at local eateries. So, if you stayed in the dorm and got the meal plan, total cost of attendance would be about $45,000 (without travel to and from home, incidentals, etc). 

Would she consider transferring in to LIM, if she retains a strong interest after starting elsewhere? 

Why does she want to go to school in NYC specifically? Is it related to her career interest, to NYC specifically, or wanting to be in a big city in general? Because I have to say, there are cities, there are big cities, and then there's New York City! If you don't live in or near it, the camp would certainly be a great idea to get a feel for the city itself. 

Regarding other schools: is she mostly interested in the fashion industry, or mostly interested in international business in general? If the former, how okay are you with her taking a very narrow focus from the start? And by 'you,' I mean her parents or whomever is paying the bill! 

She is very much interested in NYC. The only schools she is interested in outside of NYC are in Canada and they are on her list primarily because the Canadian schools cost less for international students than the schools in NYC do for out-of-state students.

The fashion focus is of concern for my dd. She is quite certain that she wants international business, but she isn't sure she wants her focus narrowed specifically to fashion, although she is highly interested in fashion as well. She is really hoping that the week of immersion in the summer program will help her decide whether or not she wants to do this.

I like the way that Fashion Institute of Technology has students start by completing an AS and then do an additional two years to complete a Bachelor's degree. 

I think what I'd like to do is fly up to NYC at the end of her summer program and take her on a tour of the other colleges in the area over the next couple of days. The ones that I am interested in having her look at are Adelphi, Pace, Hofstra (not in the city, but they are close by and are a more traditional campus), Fashion Institute of Technology, and maybe Baruch. She plans to get a look at Marymount while she is in the summer program because it is not far at all from LIM and would be easy to visit after classes get out. She would love to go to New York University, but that's extremely unlikely. Her scores just aren't high enough. Her ACT composite was 27, which is fine for all the other schools she is thinking about, but not for NYU, especially since NYU would require significant financial aid.

I expect it to be likely for her to transfer no matter where she starts. I was actually hoping to get her to go to an in-state school for her first year and then transfer to a university in NYC, but Texas is far too homophobic. Even in Austin, which is the most liberal area in Texas, she doesn't feel especially safe.

• Like 3

Another one she may want to consider, even thought it's a bit further from the city, is SUNY New Paltz. 

https://www.newpaltz.edu/iib/

The second half of the first semester is spent living and interning in NYC.

Just read a bit more about this, and it's a one semester program which any students from any other

college can apply for.  The cost is 12K, but that includes housing for both programs and a meal plan

for the first 8 weeks in New Paltz. 

One of the advantages I see of the SUNY universities is that any credits earned should transfer easily

to another SUNY university should a student want to change direction or transfer.