Menu

How to Make Greek Refrigerator Magnets

Julie in GA

I'm just putting this doc right into the body of a post, because it's too big to attach, and it seems easier than downloading it from savefile.com. So, here are the directions:

How to Make Greek Refrigerator Magnets

Materials:

Polymer clay, about ½ ounce per letter, in various colors, plus some transparent clay, or clay the same color as your fridge.

Templates for tracing

Set of magnets (Magnetic tape will not be strong enough.)

We used Ace Hardware #26301 (magnet assortment pack – thin enough to cut with scissors)

Cutting board and exact-o-knife

To make the templates:

1. Open a Word document and set the font to Arial Black, size 175.

2. Use the “insert symbol†feature to insert capital Greek letters into the document.

3. Format the font to “outline.â€

4. Print out, cut out, and glue to cardstock or 3X5 cards. (Or just print them out on cardstock.) Cut them out again, cutting the curves carefully.

To Make the Letters

1. Press out some clay to a thickness of ¼ inch. Use a letter template to trace around and cut the shape out of the clay. Smooth your edges with a knife, spatula, or clean fingers. Place on a cookie sheet.

2. For theta (Θ), we let the middle section connect to the sides (more like the small-case theta), so that it would be easier to make.

3. For ksi (Ξ), we made the three bars first and baked them. Then we took some transparent clay and made a base to press the bars into, and baked it again.

4. Bake the letters at 265 degrees, for half an hour, or as your clay instructions indicates.

5. When cool, use super glue to attach magnets. Test a couple of letters on your fridge to be sure they’re strong before continuing to glue on the magnets.

Julie~

I purchased your Greek refrigerator magnets last year and I have to tell you what a hit they are! I bought the magnets for my 12dd, but my 19dd's college friends love them. Friends and relatives do a double-take when the see them. Thanks so much!

Cyrena

• 2 months later...