Menu

100EZ to AAR

3MisMe

I'm a first-time homeschool mama. My son and I are on lesson 32 of 100EZ. He's doing really well and enjoying the process. From here, I'd like to use AAR. As a newbie, I have a hard time figuring out when to jump out of 100EZ into AAR, and, what level to choose. I just don't know enough about the scope and sequence of 100EZ to figure it out using AAR's placement tests. Has anyone else made this transition? Do you have any advice?

• Like 1

I'm a first-time homeschool mama.

Welcome to the Hive! :seeya:

My son and I are on lesson 32 of 100EZ. He's doing really well and enjoying the process. From here, I'd like to use AAR. As a newbie, I have a hard time figuring out when to jump out of 100EZ into AAR, and, what level to choose. I just don't know enough about the scope and sequence of 100EZ to figure it out using AAR's placement tests. Has anyone else made this transition? Do you have any advice?

My advice is to stay with the thing that is working for as long as it is working. You are 32 percent done with a good introductory reading program and it is working and being enjoyed. I say stay with 100EZ until you are done, then look at All About Reading based on what you need after you have that good solid foundation in reading.

There are placement tests for each level of AAR: level 1, level 2, level 3, level 4. So finish 100EZ and then use them. After successful completion of 100 EZ your child should have blending, short vowels, long vowels, digraphs and 2 syllable words down especially if they have been reading outside of the 100 EZ text so I would expect he or she to place into AAR level 3, but that is just a guess based on the scope and sequence of 100EZ and looking at AARs placement tests.

At this point in 100EZ, your son has the tools to begin reading "real books" so if you haven't already started him on a set, I suggest that you begin using little reader books (I See Sam *free online*, Progressive Phonics *free online*, Bob Books (amazon or eBay) or Now I'm Reading (amazon or eBay) and having him reading 1 a day a long with using 100EZ.

Of course don't underestimate the impact that just reading lots and lots and lots with him can have on his reading ability.

I'm a first-time homeschool mama. My son and I are on lesson 32 of 100EZ. He's doing really well and enjoying the process. From here, I'd like to use AAR. As a newbie, I have a hard time figuring out when to jump out of 100EZ into AAR, and, what level to choose. I just don't know enough about the scope and sequence of 100EZ to figure it out using AAR's placement tests. Has anyone else made this transition? Do you have any advice?

Have you tried the AAR placement tests? There's an instruction at the end that says you can fill in gaps if he only struggles with one section, but if he struggles with 2 or more sections, then look at the previous level.

Another thing you can do is read sample stories from the previous level to double check. So, if he does well with the Level 2 placement test, double check to see if he can read one of the last Level 1 sample stories fluently. If he's sounding out a lot of words, start with Level 1 to build up fluency. If he reads it easily and comprehends easily, Level 2 might be the place to start. Unless he really reads a lot beyond what 100 EZ teaches up to lesson 32, I wouldn't think he'd be any higher than 2.

Level 1 of All About Reading covers CVC words, consonant blends, short open-vowel words, and short-vowel compound words.  You can see a complete listing of the words taught in this level near the back of the sample Teacher’s Manual.  He should be able to read the words fluently, without having to sound them out.  

Level 2 covers 3-letter blends; two-syllable words with open and closed syllables – hotel; vowel-consonant-E pattern words; VCE syllable combined with closed syllables – reptile; contractions; r-controlled words – her, car, and corn; soft c and g – face, page; past tense – hugged; vowel teams oi, oy, au, aw, ou, ow, oe, and ee; y in shy; wh in wheel; i and o can be long before two consonants (ex: ild, old,  ost) – most; silent e after u or v – have; and the third sound of a – all. It includes two and three syllable words such as pullover, outnumber, sandpaper, saucepan, and invoice, etc…  

You can see all of the AAR samples on this page.

HTH some as you consider where to start.

Thank you for your feedback! I really appreciate it!! We'll keep on with 100EZ and wrap that up before moving into AAR. We do read a lot of books together. Last week I had him read a BOB book on his own. He was delighted! We were then at the store and he was sounding out words he saw. At one point he started to giggle, "Mom, this is incredible! Everywhere I turn letters are turning into words!" I confess I teared up with delight. He was so happy! 

Thank you again!

• Like 1