Menu

LEGO Mindstorms EV3 planning and tips

Another thread about LEGO Education kits sparked discussion on the EV3 Mindstorms and how folks are using or planning to use. Starting this thread to not derail the other one.

We have used the WeDo and the WeDo Expansion packs. I've used them in co op class and at home. Now looking to transition to the EV3, but a little intimidated and wanting some resources for hand holding or lesson planning since I'm not extremely tech savvy. I prefer to follow a lesson plan or have a guide with project starters. Anyone have plans or tips to share?

We picked up a book called the Lego Mindstorms NXT 2.0 Discovery book. A beginner's guide to building and programming robots. By Laurens Vaulk.

We choose NXT because we could buy more pieces cheaply. But this book was invaluable to walk us through the process and make several robots and the concepts behind it all.

• Like 1

I just signed up last month to run a First Lego team and have been playing around with an EV3 kit in my spare time.

Here's what I've found helpful so far:

This is how we learned how to steer the EV3 robot.

http://ev3lessons.com/lessons.html

The forums for FLL can be helpful, even if you're not doing FLL:

http://forums.usfirst.org/forumdisplay.php?24-FIRST-LEGO-League

There's tips on how to use the sensors, programming, etc.

Ruth

• Like 1

Sorry it took me so long to get back-I've been away all week.

Here is the link to my thread from late last year:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/550579-lego-fll-question-for-those-with-experience/?hl=%2Blego+%2Bclass&do=findComment&comment=6337084

There is some great advice in it.

I am by no means an expert, I've only been working with these less than a year.

I held an 8 week class with a total of 25 students. 12  on one day, 13 on another. 3 kids to a robot. We raised enough money to purchase 4 sets. I used the education sets.

I have never done programming prior to this. I went through the tutorials that came with the software, and then I did them again alongside this website: sites.google.com/site/gask3t On this site, he has a section called "The missing commentaries" where he explains the programming in the tutorials. It was helpful for me to have the programming explained as I don't intuitively understand!

I spent about 2 months working on understanding the programming language and figuring out what exactly I'd have the kids working on. Many colleges have LEGO competitions, and you can usually see past challenges on their sites. I used www.drgraeme.net as a resource. He has many challenges listed, in order of difficulty. There is a sister site (www.drgraeme.org) that is the same thing except for the EV3 instead of the NXT and is in youtube format. Using the challenges on the .net site I picked ones that I thought I could do with the supplies I had. I worked through them and practiced "reading" the code. This way when my kids got stuck on a problem I was able to help them. Often, it took me reading what they had written for them to see the mistake.

I also loved these books:

Exploring LEGO Mindstorms: tools and techniques for building and programming robots by Eun Jung Park.

and

The Lego Mindstorms EV3 discovery book: a beginner's guide to building and programming robots by Laurens Valk.

I found the information better in the first book, but if I could only buy one it would be the second as it is in color (which is helpful for the actual building)

We ended my 8 week class with the opportunity to attend a local competition. The kids had 4 more weeks to work of challenges. It was a great end, and a great way to show off what they had learned.

Have fun as you begin this journey. If you have any specific questions, I would love to help!

• Like 1

Here's what I've found helpful so far:

This is how we learned how to steer the EV3 robot.

http://ev3lessons.com/lessons.html

The forums for FLL can be helpful, even if you're not doing FLL:

http://forums.usfirst.org/forumdisplay.php?24-FIRST-LEGO-League

There's tips on how to use the sensors, programming, etc.

Ruth

I really like this site. Thanks for sharing it!

Thank you!! Great info, and glad to hear it was learnable for someone who isn't naturally gifted in programming. I think I know what my summer school for myself is! Quick question, how did you find the software for the education version? I own one of the home/retail kits now, trying to decide whether to get home or education kits for class.

Thank you!! Great info, and glad to hear it was learnable for someone who isn't naturally gifted in programming. I think I know what my summer school for myself is! Quick question, how did you find the software for the education version? I own one of the home/retail kits now, trying to decide whether to get home or education kits for class.

The software is available for purchase through Lego education. I don't know if the home version has any tutorials? If I had the home version set I don't think I'd buy the education software. At least not right away. The home version will have builds that you can do with the pieces you have, same for the educational version. The actual programming software is the same for both.

Btw, my greatest fear was not being able to program. Having never done ANY before. It was fairly easy to learn. Summer school for me will also include programming :-).

Just a note for others who may find this thread later, the Exploring LEGO Mindstorms: tools and techniques for building and programming robots by Eun Jung Park, book is in color in the kindle edition but not the print edition.  I'm going to get the kindle version and add it to my summer working list.

Just a note for others who may find this thread later, the Exploring LEGO Mindstorms: tools and techniques for building and programming robots by Eun Jung Park, book is in color in the kindle edition but not the print edition. I'm going to get the kindle version and add it to my summer working list.

That is great! I avoid buying books on my tablet and was unaware of this. I really loved the text in the book. The pictures were descent, and doable for an experienced builder (but would be difficult for a beginner)

Carrousel, once you've started working with a group you should come back and give an update on what you did, how things went, changes you'd make, etc. :-)