Menu

I'm having a hard time deciding on math

I'm torn between horizons and ABeka. We recieved the workbook set for horizons two but don't have the teachers handbook. This will work for my dd8, but I'm trying to decide what to do for my ds7. I've been looking at ABeka for awhile and now I'm not sure which I like better. ABeka's teachers handbook seems to be more thorough than horizons, but I can't say that for sure because all I've seen are sample pages from online. For either of these programs I think the teachers manual is the essental part because it explains how to teach the concepts which is what I really need. If you've used both programs can you give me your prospective? Or even it you've used just one. Right now ABeka is a little cheaper which is what I need. My head is spinning and I just don't know what to do!

Just as the voice of practicality, I would use the same curriculum for both of them to shorten your learning curve. You learn to teach the one and the other will follow in his tracks. There's nothing wrong with Horizons, so just do it. Can't beat the price, and I'm not sure you need the tm. Just get some manipulatives.

I think the teachers manual is the essental part because it explains how to teach the concepts which is what I really need.

I would go with Abeka. I started my dd's on Horizens last year for 2nd grade, and supplemented with Singapore. While I like that Horizens is a spiral program, and dd's like the workbook format, the teachers manuel Does NOT tell you how to teach concepts!!! This is becoming a problem with one of my dd's- I need extra help for her to understand some things, and the tm isn't helpful at all. Horizens is designed to be taught by a math teacher, so if you are not comfortable with teaching concepts, I would go w/ Abeka.

HTH

Do you care about the order in which certain concepts are taught? Just asking because Abeka teaches multiplication facts in order (0, 1, 2, 3,... etc) teaching division at the same time. Horizons teaches the easy x tables first (0, 1, 2, 5, 10). We're only in the second book of H2, but so far division hasn't been touched on, just multiplication. I think I prefer it this way. My dd got confused trying to learn multiplication and division at the same time (with R & S).