Menu

5 may be better than 4

Teachin'Mine

I came across this article and thought I'd share it here.  The topic has come up before in different ways.  Here's some evidence that this is being done at "regular" high schools and therefore gives homeschoolers a legitimate reason to do the same, if it would be best for their student.  Some have been doing an extra year of high school, but going back and taking out the 9th grade courses and calling that year 8th.  Maybe that's not necessary.  I like that the "extra" year has an emphasis on actual college classes as a stepping stone to the four year school.  Not sure how community colleges would look at five years of high school, and like everything it would depend on the specific college, but if they don't allow dual enrollment for those in their fifth year, it may still be wise to drop 9th back to 8th in those situations.  The benefits for the student would remain the same no matter how the years are broken down.

http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/high-school-notes/2015/05/04/13th-grade-offers-some-teens-an-easier-transition-to-college

Our ISD's early college high school offers this program. Their main drawback is that you are not UIL eligible, so students can't participate in sports or music ensembles during their entire high school career. This is a Texas specific problem, but it's a serious deterrent here.

You always have to look at the pros and cons of each specific situation. This might be a great option for some kids and not for others. I don't think the 5 year plan has an image problem if you're earning significant college credits, but you might be forced to apply as a transfer and forego the freshman scholarship opportunities.

The whole guidance counselor gig is the hardest part of homeschooling high school. There are so many factors to consider and no option is a clear cut winner.

• Like 3

The "fifth year" appears to be a trick to fund the first year of college at HS rates.  States should just allow more DE classes to be taken very cheap or free while in high school, PS, charter, private or home (since all are paying taxes).  Our local CC allows some free DE courses but some are really just HS duplicates such as College Algebra and you have to be at that PS.