Menu

Equine question for vets

creekland

We were doing spring shots today... 5 of our 7 are perfect...1 is super sensitive, but I managed to get her correctly anyway, though we're always thanking God no one gets hurt afterward... then there's the one I need to ask about.  He saw me with the needle, so got worked up before anyone touched him.  I had the seemingly bright idea of having hubby give the shot while mr stallion was still fixed on what I was doing.  Hubby knows about the proper triangle, but in his haste and the last minute "HEY" (and jump) from the stallion he ended up getting near or on his shoulder blade instead.

The good thing is mr stallion isn't dead - so no blood vessel was in the way.  What I need to know is if that location, while not proper, is ok for the vacc to work.  Hubby insists the needle was all the way in and the whole thing was administered.  However, I saw none of it EXCEPT the blood spot of where the needle was injected to know the location.  It looks like upper shoulder bone area to me - close to the neck, but over bone unless he was on an angle.

Would you assume all is ok, albeit, not textbook, or would you revaccinate in another week or so being FAR more careful to not be so open about what is happening (my mistake)?

This is the typical 4 way shot that they get every year, and he's not a baby (our babies were superb!), so he had his shots last year.  I still need to do WNV at some point in the future anyway.

All I can find on the net is how to do them correctly, not what happens if you end up in a different spot (aside from a blood vessel)... I only remember the same from my training many moons ago.

Thoughts?

Hmm, at least I don't feel like I missed something in my "basic farm vet" education (course I took way back in my teens) if this question has also stumped the Hive!

It was worth a try asking though.  I'll have hubby run the question past our vet when he talks with him today or tomorrow (engineering projects).

I think you should be fine.  It i just an IM shot so not a huge deal.

I have one right now with a sore eye.  Vet came and checked it out and gave me ointment to put in his eye twice a day......................NO WAY under heaven is that horse going to stand still for me to put the ointment (a soothing one so nothing irritating) in that eye.  Vet came back out to give spring shots, etc. and recheck eye.  NO WAY was horse going to let him check that eye.  Ended up with 3 shots of sedation and numbing to the eye to look at it and find out it is SLOWLY healing.  That brings us to plan B............shots ever 3 days for 2-3 months. Dumb horse will stand just fine for that.  I wish I could convince him that ointment by his eyelid is way easier than a shot every 3 days.  I am still trying with the ointment by getting it over his shut eyelid while his head is WAY up in the air in the hopes that some will drip into his eyelid.

I am getting better at giving shots though :-)

• Like 1

Agree with Ottakee--I think you're fine. But I'd have your DH ask the vet since he's going to be talking to him anyway, for sure.

Good luck with your uncooperative guy, Ottakee. I really wish they could listen and understand English and human reasoning! If I had a dime for every time I said "it would be SO much easier if you would just [stand still, let me clip that, get on the trailer, stop rearing...etc., etc.]!!!"

• Like 1

I really wish they could listen and understand English and human reasoning! If I had a dime for every time I said "it would be SO much easier if you would just [stand still, let me clip that, get on the trailer, stop rearing...etc., etc.]!!!"

If only!  And add, how in the heck did you do that(?) and why?

Fortunately, those of ours who have needed eye ointments have been just fine.  Worming is fine.  We just have these two that are nuts with shots and I was off guard for the second one as I had no problem with him last time, but I took him by surprise then, so it's a mental problem for him and not a physical one.  This time he saw the shot coming from far off when I was still adjusting it.  Their memories are better than mine I think.

Our other mare is definitely physically sensitive.  We totally hid it from her and I was grooming her with a stiff curry at the time hubby was blocking her sight with his body - and feeding her a carrot (all normal stuff as far as she's concerned).  She still jumped bending the needle and swung as much of her butt toward us as she could.  If she needed shots on a daily or weekly basis, we'd be in trouble.  I'm glad she doesn't instinctively bite.  (Doing the usual pinching or punching the neck clues her in, so is NOT an option.)

Fortunately, her first offspring - a combo of hers and his - didn't even flinch with his first shot yesterday.  I'll admit I was holding my breath!  He looks like he'll be superb showing.  Having one less "issue" in his life sure won't hurt, esp since show ponies get more shots!  We have to skip Rabies with this mare as there's no way the vet can get close to her.  She's as "au naturel" as possible, but I still want at least the one pre-foaling shot for baby.  I'm undecided whether to do WNV with her.  "Why?" is one of the big questions I want to ask her.  Her dam we could do anything with...  She's awfully lucky she's a fabulous mover and worth dealing with issues.

ps  His shoulder seems ok this morning with just a bump a little larger than a mosquito bite that's a little sensitive, so I'm actually thinking he'll be ok and the vacc will probably work.  It's definitely in an area that gets a bit of movement, so should travel.

Good luck with your uncooperative guy, Ottakee. I really wish they could listen and understand English and human reasoning! If I had a dime for every time I said "it would be SO much easier if you would just [stand still, let me clip that, get on the trailer, stop rearing...etc., etc.]!!!"

Some things would just be so much easier.  This eye guy needs sedation for sheath cleaning.  I am NOT attempting that myself with him.  He balks for the clippers.......until he remembers they aren't so bad.  he throws his head for wormer.........then enjoys it.

Our new spotted draft pony is the opposite.  He would eat all of the wormer you give him......and the tubes if he could.  He tries to eat the clippers and is a pain to clip a bridle path as he wants to see what you are doing and eat the clippers.  He has a super super thick double mane so it is hard to get a clippers through in the first place and it grows super fast.  Often I just hack it with scissors.

My horse is totally fine with anything (including plain bute tablets).........except the clippers.  He is 24 and has never been able to be clipped.  Good thing he isn't a show horse and has a thinner mane.  I just clip with a scissors and he stands perfectly still for that.  You can do his sheath easily as well.

I think you should be fine.  It i just an IM shot so not a huge deal.

I have one right now with a sore eye.  Vet came and checked it out and gave me ointment to put in his eye twice a day......................NO WAY under heaven is that horse going to stand still for me to put the ointment (a soothing one so nothing irritating) in that eye.  Vet came back out to give spring shots, etc. and recheck eye.  NO WAY was horse going to let him check that eye.  Ended up with 3 shots of sedation and numbing to the eye to look at it and find out it is SLOWLY healing.  That brings us to plan B............shots ever 3 days for 2-3 months. Dumb horse will stand just fine for that.  I wish I could convince him that ointment by his eyelid is way easier than a shot every 3 days.  I am still trying with the ointment by getting it over his shut eyelid while his head is WAY up in the air in the hopes that some will drip into his eyelid.

I am getting better at giving shots though :-)

I don't suppose a spray wash would be any better?  My daughter's old gelding was a little weird about it at first, but once he figured out that it wouldn't hurt he went along with the program.  It was Vetericyn, BTW.

I don't suppose a spray wash would be any better?  My daughter's old gelding was a little weird about it at first, but once he figured out that it wouldn't hurt he went along with the program.  It was Vetericyn, BTW.

Do you have to hold their eye open or just spray it on like a fly spray---just over their eye area?  he does fine with fly spray but not sure about something sprayed close to his eye.  It is his eye itself that has an autoimmune issue and is sensitive so we are just trying to get the meds in it any way we can.