Menu

Early Elem: Beginning Geography vs Daily Geography

mom2bee

I have both, and we're now almost through with Daily Geography Grade 1. My son loves it. About 150 pages of the whole book are divided into 36 weeks and in each week you study a different map under the same format of introduction, vocabulary, a picture of map, daily questions and "challenge" activity (usually coloring). It is repetitive and doesn't go much in depth but gets done in an easy and systematic way.  

OTOH, Beginning Geography doesn't lay out a schedule to follow and has about 100 pages that vary from page to page. You'll get a more variety of hands-on activities than Daily Geography and need to make copies of some pages for cutting and gluing activities. It also comes with 2 big colorful fold-out maps attached in the book. We plan to do Beginning Geography during the summer break before we move on to Daily Geography Grade 2. 

HTH :)

• Like 1

I have absolutely nothing against EM (I use many of their products and have heard good things about their geography), but wanted to give you a third option. This year we use Maps, Globes, and Graphs and it has been a huge success. https://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?subject=History%2FGeography&category=Maps-Globes-Graphs+Series

• Like 1

We've used Beginning Geography and Daily Geography 2. Beginning Geography is a very simple and fun overview of the basics (check the TOC to see what's covered). Daily Geography 2 covers all that Beginning Geography does, plus more. It delves more into reading a lot of different kinds of maps and gets into terminology a bit more.

Honestly, they both are super easy. Daily Geography 1 looked so easy that we skipped it and used Grade 2 last year at the end of DD's first grade year (she completed Beginning Geography the summer after Pre-K). We didn't use it daily, but as a summer elective. We ended up accelerating through a couple of weeks worth a day. (It's not nearly as much as it sounds and we completed one week per day orally, the other she wrote out.) While there are some good skills to be learned with both, some of it is just ridiculously easy. I can't imagine dragging it out over the course of a year.

It does not teach states, capitals, stuff of that nature. I'm not sure whether we'll use it again. I would really have to scrutinize the samples and pick a level that is more meaty/challenging. I have been eye-balling SCM's Visits to Geography Series, but haven't used it yet.