Menu

Spelling?

Hi,

My dd is finishing 9th grade. She recently took the Stanford Acheivement test and scored lowest in spelling (still in the average range, though). We've always known that she is not the strongest speller even though she went through the entire AAS program.

Should she continue studying spelling next year or should we call it good enough? If she should continue spelling, what materials do you suggest?

TIA!

If her spelling is in the average range, then I think I'd weigh how much time you want to focus on spelling versus the other subjects she needs to complete in high school. Instead of another program, I'd take the ideas from the last step in level 7, add on some Greek & Latin roots (ones she hasn't studied yet in AAS) to work on vocabulary and spelling, and mainly work on spelling within her writing. Have her keep a personal dictionary with words she commonly misspells to check against her papers. As she masters those, add others to the list, to take care of the most troublesome ones. 

Thank you for your ideas. Whether or not further spelling studies is worth her time at this point is definitely part of my consideration. If she does do something, it would have to be independent since she's the oldest of 7, and I must save my one-on-one time with her for more important things.

Thanks again!

I have my high school junior working through Phonetic Zoo Level B and then he'll move into Level C.  He's an awful speller and I'm just not ready to give up on him.  I have seen improvements from this program and it's completely independent.  I'm hoping he'll finish them in time to move into the IEW vocabulary program that is similar but he probably won't get much of that in before the end of next year.

The best improvement I've seen in his spelling was when I was using studied dictation with him  (Spelling Day by Day) I think is the name - it's what Heart of Dakota uses throughout their guides but it wasn't independent and I ended up dropping it because we were both having trouble getting it to fit into the day.  But when I was able to do it consistently, his spelling improved by leaps and bounds.

• Like 1