Menu

After R&S kind. math what would you do?

My son will only be 4 1/2 but is very mathy like his father....:) we did memoria press prek this past yr and he did well and loved it. Dont know much about rod and staff and the rigor and preperation for later yrs. In elementary my older boys used Saxon cause it was easy on me even though they didnt care for it :-/ but they did really well after pre-algebra we left and did harold jacobs and forester. What would you recommend? R&S, Singapore? Granted looking for something not to hard to implement. Thanks

If you're looking for a conceptual approach like Singapore, I'd highly recommend Singapore, Math Mammoth, or RightStart. (The links are to full reviews that I've written.) I believe they're a great choice for any kid, but they're especially well-suited to mathy kids who get bored easily with a program with too much rote practice and not enough problem-solving or opportunities to figure things out. 

My son will only be 4 1/2 but is very mathy like his father.... :) we did memoria press prek this past yr and he did well and loved it. Dont know much about rod and staff and the rigor and preperation for later yrs. In elementary my older boys used Saxon cause it was easy on me even though they didnt care for it :-/ but they did really well after pre-algebra we left and did harold jacobs and forester. What would you recommend? R&S, Singapore? Granted looking for something not to hard to implement. Thanks

R&S is my favorite elementary math. :-)

Many people have reported that their dc completed R&S's 8th grade math and went successfully on to algebra (R&S doesn't have algebra...yet).

So, I would do R&S until my dc tested into Saxon Math 76, and then Saxon from then on. If I weren't going to do Saxon, then I'd have dc complete R&S through 8th, then on to my favorite algebra.

R&S 1 is my all-time favorite math book for K. My 4th and 1st grader both used it when they were ready for K level math, and my 4.5yo will use it for K this fall. It's gentle and enjoyable to teach. There's a teaching session in the TM that takes 10-20 minutes tops (counting, new concept demonstrations, skip counting, drill reminders, and such), and then they can complete their worksheet on their own (well, at elbow anyway).

My middle two are "ahead" in math and ended up out-pacing R&S. They moved to a workbook based math so their young hands could keep up with their skill level, but R&S gave them an excellent foundation.

My oldest used the higher books successfully.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your replies....so nervous coming out of being a long time user of Saxon.  But my youngest exceeds my older two and I feel will not be taking the same path as them.  Besides being very mathy he started reading 2 mths prior to his 4th birthday.  I really like Memoria Press in the early grades just trying to decide on what path to take.  I have heard good things about R&S and Singapore just want to make sure I give him solid background before Algebra.

Liking the time factor of R&S...:)  Saxon always took up and hour or more in elementary which I always thought was a bit long!

Silver Moon ~  when did you switch your older two and do you mind telling me what they used after?  I am really trying to stick to one program in elementary and not skipping around as to not miss anything.

Any other thoughts?  Thanks again!