Menu

I need science for next year--2nd and pre-K

mellifera33

I love, love, love the idea of BFSU--but it's hard for me to implement at this stage with littles. I've reluctantly decided that I need to use something more structured for science next year. I am looking for something secular, with simple demonstrations, and maybe lap booking-type projects. So far, I'm looking at Elemental Science Biology for the Grammar Stage, maybe with the lap book units added in. What other life science programs should I check out? TIA.

I'm probably no help--but could you structure your own ideas?

Homeschool Share has a bunch of literature-based lapbooks you could just print out.

For science, I'd pick

Isabels House of Butterflies (covers life cycle of monarchs)

Night of the Moonjellies and Time of Wonder

and the Tree lapbook.

Those would cover life cycle, tidepool and marine creatures, and trees. You could do a leaf rubbing and some id work or pressing leaves, too.

Jenn from Guest Hollow has a ton that goes with WP's old Animals curriculum. Here's a link to her links that supplement the program.

You could just tweak SWB's idea and use the Kingfisher Animal Encyclo, picking 10 animals to study, then doing the rest of what she says.

I like to plan my own things, but make it organized so I do something intentional each week. Maybe planning isn't for you?

• Like 1

Thank you for your suggestions! After looking at Elemental Science in more detail, it looks like there is more writing than is helpful for my dysgraphic kid. Nancy Larson looks nice, but more expensive than I can swing right now. I like the idea of lit-based lap books combined with some demonstrations and field trips. We live in a good area for nature field trips--we have access to forests, active volcanoes, and marine shoreline. Homeschool Share is awesome--why didn't I know about it earlier? lol I also looked at some of the Ellen McHenry units. I like that they have two levels of activities, so we could use level one activities now, and go back in a few years and cover the same material at a higher level.