Menu

Probability, logic, etc. for 10-12 year olds?

rzberrymom

Our homeschool group puts together co-op short courses, we have a group of 10-12 year olds that love European board games and chess, and so I'm hoping to come up with some kind of course on probability, logic, real world math, etc. Anyone have an idea of a curriculum that might work or something that would get me started?

I checked out the AoPS Counting and Probability book, but many of these kids haven't had any algebra yet so it seemed like it wouldn't be a great fit. I've ordered the new Beast Academy 4D book, which seems like it has some probability, but I'll probably need more than just that.

Any ideas for this age group?

MEP years 7 and 8 (http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/

Year 7 unit 1 – logic

Year 7 unit 21 – probability of one event

Year 8 unit 10 – probability of two events

Group activities are included in the Teacher Support Material. Practice pages could be completed individually or as small group activities.

There are logic and probability lessons in MEP primary, but you would need to wade through other material as well.  In the secondary materials they are discrete units.

MEP years 7 and 8 (http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/)

Year 7 unit 1 – logic

Year 7 unit 21 – probability of one event

Year 8 unit 10 – probability of two events

Group activities are included in the Teacher Support Material. Practice pages could be completed individually or as small group activities.

There are logic and probability lessons in MEP primary, but you would need to wade through other material as well. In the secondary materials they are discrete units.

Perfect--thanks so much!

There's a GEMS guide on Probability called In All Probability. Some of the stuff would be on the easy end - I think it's meant for grades 3-5. But It's a decent one. The Murderous Maths book Do You Feel Lucky? has a lot of great activities and things to figure out. We used that as our spine for probability and we used the MEP pages as practice - they're much easier.

For logic, I guess it depends on what you want... There's plenty of logic grid puzzles - we have done lots from Prufrock Press. I loved the opening of Jousting Armadillos that talks about inductive and deductive reasoning. It was really great.

• Like 1