Menu

Help! I've over-ordered History (Ancient) and I'm not sure how to organize it

I had problems ordering from one company and decided to order similar books from another company. Additionally, I put some things in my amazon cart to look at later. My husband came along and hit the "order" button on both, not knowing that I was looking at these items and had placed them in my cart so I could find them later; not because I wanted to order all of it. If anyone knows anything about the following books, can you help me sort out what can be taught simultaneously? This is for my youngest daughter who will be in 5th grade. She is a massive reader and adores history. She had requested that we have an intense study on ancient history next year (but we will probably do some of it during the summer as she's eager to start). I know that some of these are on the same subject...

So, here's what I have:

Famous Men of Greece (and the Greenleaf Guide to it)
Book of the Ancient World (along with student/teacher guide from Memoria Press)
D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths (along with student/teacher guide)
Trojan War Book (along with student/teacher guide)
Eyewitness Book for Ancient Greece
The Children's Homer
Black Ships before Troy
The Iliad (Classic Starts)
The Story of the Iliad (Alfred Church version)
The Trial and Death of Socrates (might not use this year - I think it might be too deep for her?)

I already own SOTW and thought about having her re-read some of those sections. 

Is there any way to combine all of this and have it make sense? I don't want us to constantly flip from one book to the next on a daily basis. She's also wanting to dive into Celtic and Norse mythology, but I haven't looked for anything yet. I'm hopeful that I can put some of that under literature/reading. 

I do think that she would work on some of this independently so might assign some as schoolwork and some as "fun". 

If she has already read SOTW, then I might just focus on the other books. I did notice that you don't have anything listed for the ancient Romans. I think I would start with The Book of the Ancient World and then follow with the Famous Men of Greece book. Once you've reached the latter book, you could then begin a thorough study of the ancient Greeks.

I would use the Eyewitness book as a reference book only.

You might want to add one or two books to coordinate with The Book of the Ancient World, such as The Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt by Elizabeth Payne or The Great Pyramid by Elizabeth Mann. A fiction book such as The Golden Goblet might be fun too.

When you reach Famous Men of Greece, you could begin reading through the many books you have listed, such as Greek Myths and the Iliad/Odyssey retellings. You have some overlap with the Iliad/Odyssey retellings.

Trojan War Book (along with student/teacher guide) This is the book we use. You could pair this with a retelling of the Odyssey. The author of Black Ships before Troy (Rosemary Sutcliff) wrote one (The Wanderings of Odysseus) and we liked it.
The Children's Homer  This contains both the Iliad and Odyssey retellings. This would be a good one to cover both.
Black Ships before Troy This is a shorter but fun version of the Iliad.
The Iliad (Classic Starts)
The Story of the Iliad (Alfred Church version)

I don't know of any schedules that arranges all of these with SOTW, but someone else here might know that.

You could follow with the Famous Men of Rome book and coordinate a fiction, non-fiction and/or biography to go along with it too.

If you are trying to stay on a budget and not order more books, the Famous Men of Rome book is free online and I could suggest a couple of free resources. Also, perhaps your library might have a few choices.

• Like 1

I would start with Book of the Ancient World.  It covers Egypt, Mesopotamia, Israel, Hittites, Persia, and Phoenicia.  Then move on to Famous Men of Greece as the spine for the Ancient Greece unit. 

Read D’Aulaires Book of Greek Myths without the study guide as a supplemental reading or with the study guide as literature. Select one of: The Trojan War Book, The Children’s Homer, Black Ships before Troy, The Iliad, or The Story of the Iliad for supplemental reading or as part of literature.  Have the other versions available for leisure reading.  Have the Eyewitness Book for Ancient Greece available for delving into as interested. 

I would either skip The Trial and Death of Socrates or make it optional.  I would add some mythology or stories from Ancient Eygpt and other cultures she will be studying.    

• Like 1

Thanks. I had hyper-focused on Greek as she also requested to study the language. I started with a very simple book that teaches the alphabet and told her that when she finished it I would order something a bit harder. She will start her second year of Latin, but it's a bit shaky so I was worried about her doing both at the same time. She was very insistent, so I gave in but kept Greek language 'light'. 

I will order Famous Men of Rome. I still have some money in my budget (thanks to generous in laws) and since she really wants to study ancient history, I want for it to be a good study.