Menu

CAP Writing & Rhetoric combined with CC Essentials (IEW)?

amyc78

I'm thinking ahead a whole 18 months (cause why not? :)… Wondering if anybody has successfully combined these 2 programs? I love the look of CAP W&R but don't think it will work for us this year but thought it might be a nice creative complement to Essentials when we start that in 4th grade… Thoughts? Does a W&R book typically take a whole year to complete?

I agree that the writing portion of Essentials is plenty for the duration of the CC 'year', but there is enough time to use other resources on non-CC weeks. We have done Killgallon Paragraphs for Elementary this year in addition to IEW via Essentials, but we never did both on the same week. I think using a few different approaches is a good way to add depth to your writing program and to accomplish various goals, without overwhelming your student.

• Like 1

Yes, that will work nicely. It's nice to have a change of tempo. We supplement with Writing with Ease and it has really been nice to come back to that (CC ended last week) after 24 weeks of IEW. It might not look like much from the outset, but doing an outline, training them in narration, writing a draft, discussing the edits and dress-ups - each of these steps can take 30-45 minutes a day.  And I had two kids to work with, one of whom is not terribly independent with the physical act of writing yet.

Just a thought about one other thing you might be able to do - depending on the flexibility of your Essentials tutor. Last year CC did Cycle 3 with U.S. History. So the writing assignments were mostly pulled from IEW's theme-based U.S. History book. Our tutor, however, was flexible enough to allow my family to choose our own source material because I have expressed the reservation that my children simply do not enjoy writing history, particularly from the modern period. So we chose source material from Aesop's fables, Chinese myths, books on bugs and hippos, etc. We had a real blast. But I digress. My thought is that maybe, just maybe. you may use the passages in CAP W&R as your source material. Or you may not. I've heard that CAP W&R generates good discussion with its own layout. 

• Like 1