Menu

Bookshark Grade 8 (secular Sonlight core 100) is up for preview!

ondreeuh

http://www.bookshark.com/eighth-grade/reading-with-history/8th-grade-history-literature/

It's not available for purchase until May, but you can at least see what's included.

I'm disappointed in a few of the history books - The What Is the Panama Canal? book is definitely elementary level, and there are TWO Jean Fritz books. It's fine, though.

I won't do the LA - we'll be using MBTP 12-14 which focuses deeply on 12 works (quality over quantity). I already planned on some of the books on the Bookshark list filling in for free reading, though.

I think it looks good!  I am adding it to my long range plan.  I like the variety of books and I already own History of US.

I just got Bookshark 5 for my 10 year old (History and science guides only, readers purchased on thriftbooks.com)  and then I will use 7 with half the books taken out to make room for Lightning Lit 7 with my 7th grader when he finishes HO Middle Ages.  We are looking forward to seeing Science 7--Conservation, Robotics & Technology.

http://www.bookshark.com/eighth-grade/reading-with-history/8th-grade-history-literature/

It's not available for purchase until May, but you can at least see what's included.

I'm disappointed in a few of the history books - The What Is the Panama Canal? book is definitely elementary level, and there are TWO Jean Fritz books. It's fine, though.

I won't do the LA - we'll be using MBTP 12-14 which focuses deeply on 12 works (quality over quantity). I already planned on some of the books on the Bookshark list filling in for free reading, though.

Um yeah odd regarding the Panama Canal book.  At first I thought oh well it's no big deal to use a book below level once in awhile.  I learn stuff from lower level books all the time.  But that book is listed for kids age 3-7. 

Overall it looks interesting.  Too expensive though.

Um yeah odd regarding the Panama Canal book.  At first I thought oh well it's no big deal to use a book below level once in awhile.  I learn stuff from lower level books all the time.  But that book is listed for kids age 3-7. 

Overall it looks interesting.  Too expensive though.

Rainbow Resource lists it as Grades 3 - 7.  

• Like 1

My first grader (very strong reader) is reading What Was the Battle of Gettysburg right now, and I do think this series is closer to the 3rd grade end of the spectrum than the 7th grade end. I have a small problem with a program assigning a book that will be read in 10 minutes and costs $5. I'll probably buy it because my younger one will read it, but if I didn't have another use for it I would just substitute a website.

The Little Madison book looks to be from the same series as Traitor: The Case of Benedict Arnold. They are both 160ish pages, but Benedict Arnold has fairly small print so I think Little Madison will be worth getting.

The Sacajawea book looks appropriate, but I already have Streams to the River, River to the Sea so I will sub that.

The literature for LA is all over the place, just like Core 100. It still has Dear Mr. Henshaw! That book is great for 4th grade. ;) I will not be buying the LA guide.