Menu

Anyone take extra iron supplements?

I know I don't get enough from diet alone and I do take a multi-vitamin, albeit no great one. The last doctor I saw (whom I've since left for other reasons) was very adamant about me NOT taking an iron supplement but would NOT test me for anemia, even after I repeatedly asked her.

If it truly is that dangerous, I'll wait and get tested next year when I go to the dr. again. But, if it's common, I'd like to pick up some. I know I did a few years back when someone suggested and I didn't realize the danger. I am very tired, and it's very cyclical, as well. (Is that a word?)

So, do a lot of you take extra iron out there on top of a multi vit?

I know I don't get enough from diet alone and I do take a multi-vitamin, albeit no great one. The last doctor I saw (whom I've since left for other reasons) was very adamant about me NOT taking an iron supplement but would NOT test me for anemia, even after I repeatedly asked her.

If it truly is that dangerous, I'll wait and get tested next year when I go to the dr. again. But, if it's common, I'd like to pick up some. I know I did a few years back when someone suggested and I didn't realize the danger. I am very tired, and it's very cyclical, as well. (Is that a word?)

So, do a lot of you take extra iron out there on top of a multi vit?

I take Slo-Fe but it was prescribed by a doctor before it was an OTC medication. I do take a multi-vit and I do not eat red meat. I get dizzy & weak when I don't take it. I can't even think straight to formulate a complete thought if I don't take it for a few days. I take two one week a month to offset my period as well!

Not sure if that is common, but its common for me!:)

Yes, it is dangerous. Too much iron is poisonous.

A good, gentle way to supplement would be to take 3T of molasses a day. When I do this I dilute it in about half a cup of tap water and just try to swallow it quickly. If you take it straight from a spoon it is quite thick and will coat the inside of your mouth forever. Ugh.

I cannot fathom why on earth a doctor would refuse a test for a patient. It's not like you are asking for a free service.

I do take iron daily, but I am chronically anemic, as is my ds. Because it is dangerous we have to do a blood test every six months.

I would recommend requesting that test again. Request both the hemoglobin AND the ferritin test. It is possible to have an acceptable hemoglobin score but still have an anemic ferritin score. In layman's terms, this is because ferritin is a measure of your iron stores while hemoglobin is a measure of what's actively in circulation. Therefore your ferritin score can dip quite low before your hemoglobin is affected. What this means is that you can have all the symptoms of anemia (and all the misery) but still have an acceptable hemoglobin score.

In my case, my hemoglobin was borderline (one point from true anemia) but my ferritin was terribly low. I was tested twice by one doctor who did not tell me any actual numbers, but just reported that I was not anemic. He only did the hemoglobin test, not the ferritin, and never told me that my hemoglobin was quite low even though it was not technically anemic. I suffered YEARS of exhaustion before my health completely blew up. I was achingly, horribly tired all. the. time, as well as having nightmares, dizzy spells, and terrible anxiety and sleep issues. A different doctor ran a full blood panel that included both hemoglobin and ferritin. Hemoglobin was borderline but ferritin was terribly low. I took 125mg of iron a day (this is a REALLY high dose) for eight months before my numbers got up to normal. Within a week of taking iron I was sleeping much, much better. As the months went by I could not believe how much better I felt. The difference was wonderful!

We do not know why my body cannot seem to maintain adequate iron, but at this time I take 75 mg a day to maintain "normal." This is a pretty high dose. Most people who have to take iron take more like 18 or 26mg a day. I am tested every six months.

If you are experiencing terrible exhaustion, then get the full blood work-up. It may be anemia, or it may be thyroid or other issues. If your doctor refuses, ask him/her to provide WRITTEN documentation as to why he/she is refusing these tests. Trust me, asking a doctor to commit a refusal to treat in writing will cause them to get those tests ordered pronto.

I second that it can be dangerous. I would try to get a little extra iron from foods. Tofu, black beans, chic peas, chicken/turkey, lean red meats, whole wheat bread, etc. I would also highly rec. New Chapter Organics Every Woman multivitamins. These are hands down the only vitamins I have noticed a real difference in how I feel and look! :)

Good, good info. to know. I went in thinking I was anemic and she assumed it was my thyroid. She tested for that (I'm fine) and not the iron. The next time I asked, she tested for cholesterol. When I went in for the results, she hadn't tested my iron again. By that time I was done with her. I'm experiencing a lot of changing things right now that could be causing fatigue, so I'll probably just wait a few months and have my other doctor do it when I go back in.

I appreciate all the info. I'll make sure and get the full panel!

I take iron 4 times a day, but I was prescribed that. If your doctor won't do the tests you want, maybe you should find another doctor? The one you have may not be a good match for you.

Dh takes iron when he is giving blood. You could also try some high iron foods like steak and broccoli.

Another thing to keep in mind is the combination of foods you are eating. If you take/eat something high in iron at the same time you take something high in fiber or high in calcium these foods block your absorbtion of iron. If you take iron with vitamin C rich foods, they increase your body's absorbtion of iron. I had been taking my iron supplement every morning with raisin bran (calcium AND high fiber - oops) and it wasn't working. I started waiting until later in the day when I make smoothies with OJ, mango, strawberries, etc. and I have noticed a big improvement.

Chelated iron, or bisglycinate, is a more gentle form of iron that does not constipate as much as other forms. It also doesn't have trouble being friends with calcium (i.e., you can take it with calcium and still absorb it).

I'm pregnant and have had low iron in a past pregnancy. So, I take a good multi which has chelated iron in it (My Favorite Multiple Take One by Natrol) and a product by Solgar called Hematinic. I don't take the hematinic every day, but I try to. If I miss a couple of days, then I take several pills. Overall, I take about 30 mg of chelated iron per day.

Generally, it is recommended that you take 18 mg of iron per day. It can be toxic, but I tend to feel a lot safer about the chelated form.

As others have mentioned, you can take molasses or eat foods that are high in iron.

A good b supplement can also help low energy levels. I'm fond if Source Naturals coenzymate b complex. If you prefer a food based b, then Rainbow Light makes a good one.

Sounds like you need a complete blood workup, though, as your doctor was only doing one test at a time. I don't quite get that.