Menu

Is there something out there like Lightening Literature for a 5th/6th grader?

michaeljenn

I am desperately searching for something similar to Lightening Literature for a 5th/6th grader.  I am a field tester for Lightening Literature Grade 3, and I LOVE it!! I just wish they had it for the rest of elementary!  Is there anything that is similar?  I have Drawn into the Heart of Reading, but I really want something that has comp. questions ect for each book, composition exercises, ect.... Does this exist??  

Thanks!

Jennifer

Its not exact the same but mosdos press has writing excercises, lit analysis, comprehension questions. I like the way with ll you read a whole book and do the questions. Mosdos press is a big book with partial stories or short stories. There are questions in the book about the story and the teacher's guide helps you break down the story for them (plot, exposition, climax etc). The workbook has the writing excercises and goes into different literary terms. I am using it next year with my 5th grader and we will switch to LL 6th grade if she's ready.

• Like 1

idea to consider:

if it's 5th grader... why not do the field testing for LL 4 next year and just add the missing touches you think need to happen.   I haven't seen the next year list, but that final book they have in LL3 is well above end of 3rd grade level.

If it's 6th grader, use LL 7 and scale back as needed.

that all assumes you're using more than just LL for all subjects.   (as in you might be getting other literature in a program with history, more analysis writing with lab report in science, etc)

Do you need more direct spelling instruction than LL3 does?

I never thought about using the LL4 next year... but that is a great idea.  I am only a few books in LL3 at this point, and looking ahead, I can see that it is rather advanced!! This idea may work.  She will have history readers from Heart of Dakota as well.  I am using LL3 for my very advanced 2nd grader.  We plan to extend it throughout next year.  However, my 10yo 5th grader is not as strong of a reader, so it should be fine:)  I think doing LL7 would be way too much for this particular child!