Menu

Houston neuropsych

Ella

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good neuropsych in Houston? I saw a thread from a few years ago, but no names were mentioned. I am looking for someone who can do a really thorough evaluation to detect learning disabilities, attention issues, etc.  Here are the ones I am considering so far:

Children's Learning Institute-Dr. Linda Ewing-Cobbs or other 

Dr. Randi Raizner in Sugarland

Dr. Isa Frangente at Reamer Pediatrics  (although she is a regular psych, not neuropsych and they said they don't test for dyslexia and would refer us out to someone else for that which I found confusing and made me think they aren't that experienced in detecting it).  

I don't live in Houston (although I do live in Texas) but you might try posting on the Gen Ed board.  I THINK I remember someone from Houston mentioning a neuropsych on that board.

I would probably not go with a regular psych if they don't test for dyslexia and plan to refer you out.  That just adds another step that shouldn't be necessary if you can find another option.

Have you seen any local reviews?  Know any parents who have gotten evaluations?

I don't know anyone who has had a neuropsych eval. I have had a hard time finding reviews online.  I have asked a few people who I think may be able to make a recommendation so maybe that will help.  Several people have recommended the Children's Learning Institute in general, but no one has mentioned a specific doctor. 

We had an appointment early May (4th ?) for Children's Learning institute. Just found out today that my DD1 needs lots of vision therapy. So no experience to share as we haven't gotten in yet. Since we need to do vison therapy before/instead of psyc eval, there should be an appointment opening up . Hope that helps.

Thanks Silverbrook. My guess is someone else is ahead of us in waiting for a cancellation, but that should help us move up the list to get in sooner than August. Do you mind sharing which doctor you chose? Or did you just take first available?   We have done the developmental optometrist already to rule out the need for vision therapy, etc.  Lots of rabbit trails to go down! 

Sorry, Ella  .  My husband made the appointment and if I recall, we had figured out which one we wanted, but they didn't really give a choice.  The intake person asked questions about age, and difficulties experienced, and then assigned us a date/ time.  Just cancelled today,.

My DH just made an appointment with a lady in Houston for psychological testing for his adult son.  She just does testing and doesn't interpret results.  We got in super quick.....made the appointment today and it is for 2 weeks from now, but she's going to do the testing over 4 appointments to get all the stuff done that would be needed to provide a school for accommodations. 

I can PM you the contact info if you would like.  We are going to get a feel for her with my husbands adult son and then decide if we will take our DD7 to her.

Stefanie