Menu

Singapore Math vs Strayer Upton

vaquitita

I have only used bits and pieces of SU due to the fact that it is not a wkbk. I REALLY like it a lot though. The teaching is done right there in the text. It is written to the student so many may be able to work on their own for the most part. I would be going over the lesson with my dd just to make sure she would get it and then let her work on her own. 

I've been reading through the third year work and it does teach mental math strategies. There are places in the addition and subtraction sections that I feel like it is teaching algorithms more than concepts, but then I come to the multiplication and division sections and there concepts are explained well. So maybe it's because this book doesn't start till third, the kids already understood addition and subtraction concepts so now they focus on algorithms?

Edited by vaquitita

I've been reading through the third year work and it does teach mental math strategies. There are places in the addition and subtraction sections that I feel like it is teaching algorithms more than concepts, but then I come to the multiplication and division sections and there concepts are explained well. 

I see now I misunderstood your question. Sorry about that. Glad you were given a good review!

If you'd like to stick with the overall conceptual approach but spend less money, you might also look at Math Mammoth if you haven't already. You can currently download the full curriculum (Light Blue Series) for grades 4-7A for only $87.50 at Kagi. You'd still have printing costs, of course, but it wouldn't require such a significant change to your approach to math. 

• Like 2

If you want less expensive Singapore-style math, definitely take a look at MM.  Better yet, explore when the big sale is at HSBC - it used to be a couple times per year that it would go all the way down to half off.  It looks like one can sign up to be notified of the next sale https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/math-mammoth/ (If you don't need a workbook style, you could just view MM on-screen and write work in a notebook, without printing.)

I don't know anything about SU.

• Like 1