Menu

Boomerang book club...

Has anyone used this? $50 a month is quite a bit, but it sounds interesting. Can you tell me about the format? Are discussions related to analysis or more general? Anything else you can share? I found other bravewriter discussions, but nine specifically on the book club.

I believe there are some samples of the Boomerang on the website??  The questions are thought-provoking, discussion starter-type.  Definitely not comprehension questions.  You can also purchase a set of 5 individual previous editions at Homeschool Buyers Co-op.  I usually purchase them that way so I can pick and choose.

Ashley

• 3 weeks later...

We picked one month to try it out - this month. Assuming we like it, I am going to pick selected months next year based on the books - and maybe enroll different kids in different books.

My understanding so far is that the first week is for reading the book (if not already done). The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th weeks are the discussion. Usually a new discussion question is posted every other day and some discussions go on much longer than others. Kids are encouraged to participate in the discussions, but don't necessarily have to post in every question. (I've told my student he has to answer at least half - probably more, and read all of the discussions). The teacher posts on some of the comments directly, but not everyone's, and posts comments to the general class as well. The class is not graded and no formal writing is done.

I can tell you more at the end of the month.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We picked one month to try it out - this month. Assuming we like it, I am going to pick selected months next year based on the books - and maybe enroll different kids in different books.

My understanding so far is that the first week is for reading the book (if not already done). The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th weeks are the discussion. Usually a new discussion question is posted every other day and some discussions go on much longer than others. Kids are encouraged to participate in the discussions, but don't necessarily have to post in every question. (I've told my student he has to answer at least half - probably more, and read all of the discussions). The teacher posts on some of the comments directly, but not everyone's, and posts comments to the general class as well. The class is not graded and no formal writing is done.

I can tell you more at the end of the month.

Julie, I would love to know your thoughts about Boomerang now that the May session is over.  My son is starting Week 5 of the Expository Essay class, and it has been great.