Menu

Financial aid appeal question

mamato4

I'm appealing the aid ds received from school A.  School B gave much more.  Do I need to send to school A the award letter from school B? My thinking is that would be the only way school A knows I'm not making the amount up.

Thank you!

I have no idea if you need to do this.  My daughter just e-mailed the amount, her "school A" offered, to the admissions and financial aid dept of her "school B".  They didn't really budge, sigh.  Maybe your way would work for your school.  Good luck, I hope it does!

• Like 1

I'm appealing the aid ds received from school A.  School B gave much more.  Do I need to send to school A the award letter from school B? My thinking is that would be the only way school A knows I'm not making the amount up.

My daughter appealed the financial aid offer from her favored school.  She included copies of the financial aid letters from two other schools that offered her significantly better aid.  One of the schools was about as selective as her favored school while the other one was slightly less so.  She did receive an additional one time grant for her freshman year.  We elected not to ask for additional aid in subsequent years.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

Way back in the day I did this because my second choice school offered more. It worked for me. However, that was in the 80's and on top of that I was a pianist whom the music department had told admissions that they were supposed to woo. So there was departmental pressure there, and my first contact was to tell the head of the music department that I might be accepting an offer from one of their rivals. Then I sent a copy of my award letter from that school to the admissions' department. They doubled my humanities' department scholarship.

I am not certain if that kind of thing would work today. I guess it would depend on how badly they want your student at their college.

I am not certain if that kind of thing would work today. I guess it would depend on how badly they want your student at their college.

It is a long shot but I've read of a few successes on the CC board.  The worst that can happen is a no, but at least we tried. :001_smile:

• Like 2