Menu

What is the significance of board certification for doctors?

maize

I'm researching the list doctors in our provider network, looking for a good psychiatrist. What does it mean if a dr's primary practice is psychiatry but they are not board certified? I guess I had just assumed that a doctor practicing psychiatry would need to be certified, but apparently I don't know how the system works.

What is board certification and how important is it?

• Like 1

There are several issues to consider. Board certifitcation is currently a huge hassle and some doctors are just choosing to defer re-certification to avoid this. If they never got the initial certification, that honestly would give me a small pause. But choosing a psychiatrist is a lot like choosing a college-fit is very important. Word of mouth recommendations are very important IMO. but you have to be willing to reveal to people that you are seeking psychiatric care and why. Can you ask your primary care, or a therapist?

• Like 2

We don't live in the states, but I lived there most of my life and always tried to select physicians who were Board Certified in their specialty. Catherine pointed out that there may be problems getting Board Certified at this time, that didn't exist years ago.   I remember when I needed surgery for a Hernia, that one of my requirements was Board Certification...

I would like to echo what Catherine wrote about selecting a Psychiatrist/Psychologist, etc. It is NOT "one size fits all" and the person that is great for someone you know may be horrendous for you.  If there is no rapport, etc., part with courtesy,  but part quickly.

I have P.T.S.D. and I lived in a small city. I went to someone there, several times, but it was a waste of ,my time and his time and a waste of my money.  Then, a woman in a local hospital told me, "the first time you called me, I had no idea what P.T.S.D. is.  Now, I'm engaged to a man with P.T.S.D."  She gave me the name of his Psychologist and I went to him until I emigrated from the USA.

Bottom line: Depending upon the issue the patient has, look for someone with experience with that issue and a good reputation.  GL

BTW, the ex husband of my favorite cousin is a Psychiatrist. Probably being married to one isn't a good idea...

• Like 1