Menu

SAT II Subject Test home school code

When ds registered for the SAT II Subject Test, this week, the code for home school students was auto populated as 970000.  It appears that the code is the same throughout the entire U.S.  However, when he registered for the PSAT, last fall, each state has their own home school code. Did anyone else register for the subject tests recently?  Did he do this correctly? Is it really one code for the whole country? Thanks!

I think that is right.

SAT. One code for country

PSAT one code per state

AP one code per state (listed in AP coordinator's guide)

This is correct. 

Also, each state's PSAT code is the same as its AP code.  I don't have a source as to why the CB does this, but my guess is that it is because the schools are directly involved in their students' PSAT and especially their AP results.  To register for the PSAT or an AP you must go through the school (unfortunately!); to register for an SAT or SAT II exam you go through the CB.

Schools directly receive the score reports for their students' PSAT testing, and AP results are sent to the students and the teachers.  For example, my sil receives a report listing her students' AP scores for the ps class she teaches. 

Schools also receive a report of their seniors' NM status.

This is correct.

Also, each state's PSAT code is the same as its AP code. I don't have a source as to why the CB does this, but my guess is that it is because the schools are directly involved in their students' PSAT and especially their AP results. To register for the PSAT or an AP you must go through the school (unfortunately!); to register for an SAT or SAT II exam you go through the CB.

Schools directly receive the score reports for their students' PSAT testing, and AP results are sent to the students and the teachers. For example, my sil receives a report listing her students' AP scores for the ps class she teaches.

Schools also receive a report of their seniors' NM status.

I think it probably relates to the fact that CB creates big annual reports of PSAT and AP results on a state wide and district level. So the code makes it easier to sort.

Now it does make me wonder why I've never managed to find a report or study that analyzed students who see the homeschool code. The best I could come up with recently was a report that sorted out public, private and independent/other.