Menu

I'm so stinkin' mad!

I took oldest dd to the optometrist 2 weeks ago. She just started complaining about not being able to see, so I assumed she might be a little near-sighted. I was very nearsighted and it started about her age. He concluded that she has a lazy eye. Alright. He recommended patching it 3 hours a day and gave her a prescription for glasses. This dr. has a store there, so we ordered the glasses, paid for them and were assured they would be back in by the end of the week.

Meanwhile, I wasn't entirely positive he had done the best refraction on dd so, I went ahead and made an appt. with an opthamologist. DD has been wearing the patch, but the glasses didn't come in until last Friday.

So we had the appt. with the ped. opth. yesterday. She does have a lazy eye, and he recommended patching. But he said the glasses she has are basically useless. There isn't enough correction in them to do anything. Her problem is muscular, and correction will not fix the problem.

So, I spent $100.00 on glasses that basically are useless. I'm going to call the original dr. but I'm not sure what to say without losing my temper. It seems to me that this is pretty akin to fraud. He had to know the correction was useless. The correction was +.50 in one eye and +.25 in the other. She doesn't have any vision improvement with them on. Reading glasses don't even come with that small of a prescription. Argh! I hate being taken advantage of!

I took oldest dd to the optometrist 2 weeks ago. She just started complaining about not being able to see, so I assumed she might be a little near-sighted. I was very nearsighted and it started about her age. He concluded that she has a lazy eye. Alright. He recommended patching it 3 hours a day and gave her a prescription for glasses. This dr. has a store there, so we ordered the glasses, paid for them and were assured they would be back in by the end of the week.

Meanwhile, I wasn't entirely positive he had done the best refraction on dd so, I went ahead and made an appt. with an opthamologist. DD has been wearing the patch, but the glasses didn't come in until last Friday.

So we had the appt. with the ped. opth. yesterday. She does have a lazy eye, and he recommended patching. But he said the glasses she has are basically useless. There isn't enough correction in them to do anything. Her problem is muscular, and correction will not fix the problem.

So, I spent $100.00 on glasses that basically are useless. I'm going to call the original dr. but I'm not sure what to say without losing my temper. It seems to me that this is pretty akin to fraud. He had to know the correction was useless. The correction was +.50 in one eye and +.25 in the other. She doesn't have any vision improvement with them on. Reading glasses don't even come with that small of a prescription. Argh! I hate being taken advantage of!

Oh, I'm so sorry. I really do feel your frustration. I bought a pair of glasses for my son, does he wear them? Nope. Grr. Money down the toilet. Oh well.

At least there is a bright side that your daughter doesn't need glasses. My daughter does and I would be thrilled, and she even more so, to learn she doesn't need them. I know it sucks being taken advantage of and being out the funds. I am not trying to trivialize your plight but at least there is a silver lining. I would just contact the optometrist's office, calmly explain the problem, tell them how you want it resolved, and see what happens.

:grouphug:

I'm sorry this happened to you. I'd ask for the refund, too. But if it didn't work, maybe you could consider donating the glasses and taking a charitable deduction? At least then they'd do somebody some good and you might feel a little better. Lions Clubs take donations of eyeglasses.

Danielle