Menu

Something Like Kathryn Stout Books for Bible?

Hunter

I can't find ANYTHING like her books for Bible.

I was skimming through my Far Above Rubies Unit study to find some Bible topics to match up with the unit I want to teach, but I feel like there MUST be some sort of checklist of Bible topics to cover and assistance in matching them up to unit studies.

I'm guessing the reason she doesn't have a book for Bible is that if one wanted to have Bible at its very basic, they would just read through the Bible with their kids. Maybe I'm wrong about her books, but aren't they sort of scope/sequence books, bringing each subject down to the basic parts?

Are you looking for a book like hers on religious studies (so it would include Bible readings, memory verses, worldview topics, hymns to learn, etc)? Are you looking for a list of Bible readings arranged by theme/topic? Or something else?

• Like 1

I don't know what I'm looking for. :lol: I pulled out my SOW(Student of the Word) binders, though, and guess I will just use those.

I was just hoping to have one 100 page book that worked seamlessly with the Stout books. I was lesson planning last night, just using WHATEVER was handy and interesting this week, and planned the week in 10 minutes, all except Bible.

What I like about the Stout books is you can just do WHATEVER and check off something from the lists. You don't need to own or complete ANYTHING. For years you could use what you have before you'd need to buckle and make any effort to cover those last few topics that didn't fall into your lap.

The goal of SOW is discipleship and requires a lot of reference books. It can be tweaked. It's just more than I want in so many ways, right now.

I'd really like to try just...I don't know, trusting. Trusting that what I need will fall into my lap when I need it. And just have a little stack of Stout books to keep track and inspire.

I think what you want would depend on what you hope your students to get out of the Bible. If it's just familiarity with the stories, you could use these two lists as a reading checklist:

http://www.pennygardner.com/oldtest.html

http://www.pennygardner.com/newtest.html

If you want to use it for literature, you could use a checklist like the ones linked in this thread:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/265616-where-can-i-find-bible-checklist-for-dd/

If you wanted more of a study of the Bible, you could pare down the SOW studies so that they are doable with just a study Bible (most have a simple dictionary and concordance in the back). Or you could do just the outline and application and just use a Bible that list cross reference verses (that's what I've been doing lately). You could also use Kay Arthur's How to Study Your Bible--it's not ideal for students working at the grammar level, but might work for students that are working at a dialectic or rhetoric levels. I suppose you could have the grammar levels just focus on highlighting some of the key words she lists for each book and have them re-read a chapter after they are done highlighting to narrate or outline the passage.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Study-Your-Bible-Life-Changing/dp/0736953434/

• Like 1

Thank you.

I was looking at this book, too.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1418545945/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=77UGSFY2WC1C&coliid=I1SX7CW4LC6O6H

I don't need the guide to be perfect. I could cross out and add things. But a place to start would be nice, that is a list, not curriculum itself. With a list, if I don't want to cover it, it's just a few lines to alter. With books, there are the bulk of CHAPTERS that are overlap or not what I want to cover. I want to be able to have a book for just a little while, complete the parts I want to cover and then get rid of the book before getting a new one.

I just really would like a guide like the Stout books, so I don't needs to keep books. I'm not sure if that makes sense. I really want to buy inexpensive trade books from Amazon, and then get rid of them.

So if the guide has a list of attributes of God, I cover them with whatever mishmash I can find and then get rid of the mess.

I know SOW and have worked with it for years. I'll use this before spending money on anything else that isn't exactly what I want. I just wish there was something like the Stout books. Even if I didn't agree with it. Something both more and less than SOW.

I've still been giving this a lot of thought. I guess the way to do Bible without having to own a lot of books long-term is to just have a chart for the bIble reading and then just ONE AT A TIME read a theology book and then get rid of it.

I tend to overcomplicate this, because I've been using complicated things for so long.

I really don't need to do Bible geography alongside ALL readings. If the student is familiar with the Bible, the student can just focus on general BIble geography for awhile, and then put the topic away for months or years before revisiting it again.

Our culture has an expectation for topics to cover in some subjects, but there is no general expectation for Bible right now. So I can just do what I want to do. If I see a book and like it, then I'll use it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...