Menu

Switching from aAs to apples and pears?

I would love info on folks that have used apples and pears. I have 3 children that I use all about reading for and all about spelling . It is obviously VERY time consuming. I spend 90 minutes to 2 hours a day just on reading and spelling.

I am really burning out on spelling . I spend a lot of time with it and my kudos are still atrocious ;). My 9 year old will ace the lesson and totally misspell it in outside writing . I know that's Common but of I am killing myself to work on spelling ...I want it worth it! Lol

I really don't think the rules mean a thing to my kids ...I believe they are WAY more visual spellers.

So I'm considering apples and pears. I've read such good things. My concern is that it will take just as much time as now.

Has anyone used apples and pears with 2 or 3 kids? How do you orchestrate it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use Apples and Pear with 2 kids (2nd and 5th grade).  I would say that it takes us no more than 30 minutes.  My 5th grader does the entire lesson but my 2nd grader only about half a lesson.  There really isn't anything to orchestrate.  You just open the teacher manual and do the lesson (there is no prep).  We used AAS before A&P and find A&P much easier to manage as well as more enjoyable (my 5th grader is disappointed that she will finish the last level of A&P this year).

• 2 years later...

My child asks to do A&P.  I had to modify it slightly in the beginning until she gained confidence and she pushed back at times especially at writing the sentences  Now she just dives right in with no complaining.

Susie

DD(10)

I know this is an old thread, but can you tell me how you modified apples and pears? It sounds like it was too much writing at first, and I'm thinking of switching to it with a writing phobic boy (g5-but behind). Thanks!