Menu

If your kids want to build stuff and read all day

summerreading

Can you please share with me what works in your homeschooling? I *love* that they love their legos and books and audiobooks, but as soon as I turn my back they disappear to their rooms. I feel like half my day is rounding people up and then watching them space out while doing math.

would love to hear your wins/fails with this type of child.

• Like 1

You could try having a group class time at whatever time of day is most convenient for you. Before free reading or blocks come out, we all spend 2 hours in the study or at the kitchen table focusing on X.

Everyone works on their X work and mom is a floater, supervising the completion of X, helping with X as needed.

• Like 2

You could try having a group class time at whatever time of day is most convenient for you. Before free reading or blocks come out, we all spend 2 hours in the study or at the kitchen table focusing on X.

Everyone works on their X work and mom is a floater, supervising the completion of X, helping with X as needed.

That sounds like a good thing to try out. Ds5 is an issue. He finds really creative ways to direct attention back to him, but he has his own kind of work to do too. Maybe he'll cooperate :)

That sounds like a good thing to try out. Ds5 is an issue. He finds really creative ways to direct attention back to him, but he has his own kind of work to do too. Maybe he'll cooperate :)

You may have success if you give him some 1-on-1 time with you for 30 minutes, then lay out and review the ground rules for expected behavior during X time. Let him know that he is not to be a distraction or silly during this time because everyone is working.

Perhaps let the others listen to MP3s on a headset while they work on X under your supervision.

During X time, you nest next to DS5 , but still get up to check on the others, still go to them when they need help with a math problem. When you are working with one person, if anyone else has a problem they are to circle the problem and keep going so that you can review it with them when you are done with Child A.

Set up guidelines and consequences for when your 5yo is deliberately disruptive during X time.

• Like 1