Menu

Comparing Analytical Grammar and Shurley and Warriner's

Hi,

I could use some quick advice. My dd is a ninth grader and we haven't done a thorough grammar course. I did some Shurley last year, but she needs to review and continue with this to finish.

When I was looking at making some lesson plans it seemed so complicated to me and I thought I would research something simpler with less teacher prep. Is Analytical Grammar better than Shurley in terms of simplicity?

I've also seen Warriner's Grammar recommended. How much teacher prep is there with this? Is it only available used?

TIA for considering my questions!

~Robin in Alabama

I can't compare, but AG is "from scratch" so to speak, so is a complete grammar program which could, if you spent an hour a day on grammar, be done in a year. We break it down to take several years because spending an hour a day on grammar would not be a good thing here :).

We're needing the same type program - to finish grammar for high school. We looked at AG - not enough meat to teach for my ds thoughit gets great reviews here.

We just purchased Our Mother Tongue after I've read tons of posts here and looked at the sample on Amazon.

Just received it and it looks good - only no diagramming. Need another book for that but I'll add that in later if I really feel he needs it.