Menu

Oak Meadow? Thoughts?

kwickles

I did a search but didn't find anything recent. I need an "open and go" that my husband can use to and that has some choices (i.e. do this project or that one) and I feel like it might be good. We are really struggling to get school done. I'm in nursing school and have two or three days/week at home and the piecemeal approach is not happening. OM is written to the kids and I am hoping that will help and I can foster some independence. I'd love experiences or criticisms or whatever. Money is VERY tight and I don't want to order something that isn't going to work for us. I haven't decided what grades I would order since it's late in the year. My younger dd read and thinks and comprehends enough that I think 4th would be better for her but we haven't really touched multiplication in math so 3rd (the downfall of the all in one, yes?) might be best. I might just focus on introducing multiplication - she gets the concept - and go. My older dd would be 5th or 6th. I'd love any advice. Alternate suggestions welcome as well. Thanks!!

OM 3 is not written to the child.  I found myself struggling to get it done last year because the set up was so different from a standard curricula.

I really like the middle school years of OM.  Just know that they're not set up by "day".  So you don't get a here's Monday's schedule, here's Tuesday etc.  Until you get into a rhythm it can be difficult to get everything done each week.  Also, your daughter will need regular access to the library.  It would be good to look through the assignments 2-3 weeks ahead of time, because you'll be getting a lot of books out!

Have you considered Moving Beyond the Page? www.movingbeyondthepage.com Once you get to the age 9-11 level, it's written to the child, and it's by day.  It includes every subject except math, so you can use whatever math program you want.  

• Like 1

I have no experience with Oak Meadow, but the Memoria Press materials are very open and go, and at least for fourth grade and above, the student can work independently. A lot of people don't like them because they feel they are very rote memorization and dry, but it certainly is a solid curriculum.