Menu

How important is the "two hour rule" with vegetables?

cottonmama

You really don't need to wash them unless you're going to somehow have the inside make contact with the outside and then eat it raw. I presume you don't usually mix the eggshells into your cookie dough so I think you're good.

You really don't need to wash them unless you're going to somehow have the inside make contact with the outside and then eat it raw. I presume you don't usually mix the eggshells into your cookie dough so I think you're good.

No, but when I crack them and push my thumbs in to split the shell, the shell does get pushed in, and half the time there's that one last blob that slides down and drips in as I'm transporting away from the bowl/pan. I think I'll be more careful about the ones that will possibly get eaten in their raw/rare form and maybe not the others, considering that I haven't washed the farm eggs for years now, and we've all been fine (knock on wood, spit twice, throw salt over my shoulder, make the sign to ward off the evil eye, etc.). 

Thanks!

I can see the logic in your body becoming immune to the bacteria from food poisoning but with some types of food poisoning (like the rice and pasta one) aren't directly caused by the bacteria. The bacteria makes the food grow a kind of heat resistant toxin. I don't know that our immune systems can develop resistance to toxins. If anything I thought more exposure means more sensitivity (at least this is true for snake bites and various insect stings anyway).

I think the reason we all hear different stuff is that there is new research coming out all the time. Also the average person just wants to know the rules and not all the ins and outs of why or how risky is it? So lots of information is presented in a fairly simplified format.

Plus the rules err on the side of caution because they are also for restaurants etc where the risk is to a much larger number of people.