Menu

Has anyone successfully used...

mymonkeybug

I am.  We started homeschooling when my DD was in 5th grade and DS in first grade.  We started with ancients, and are now in Vol. 2 with 6th grader and 2nd grader.  We plan to just keep going, finishing volume 4 when DD is in 8th grade.  I have her do a little extra reading, and have her write out her narration.  Since she didn't have any history prior to starting homeschooling, she doesn't find SOTW too childish or easy.  A kid that has gone through it all once before or is more advanced than my average learner might find it too easy and/or childish.  I certainly think it can be fleshed out even more with literature, videos, etc.  We are going to finish Vol. 2 next month, and my DD has decided she is going to pick one important person/event from Vol. 1 and one from Vol. 2, and write a report on each of them.

I have a 6th and 8th grader using it this year b/c it's scheduled in Bookshark World History, along with the Kingfisher Encyclopedia. Neither one thinks it is beneath them and they retain a lot from the readings. They are using the first 2 volumes this year, the next 2 next year.