Menu

Multiplying Fractions ?

FairProspects

Bear with me, math people. My math education was very procedural.

When multiplying fractions, say:

2/3 x 3/4

Why can you reduce the factors from both the numerator and the denominator and not have it make a difference?

Such as reducing to 1/1 x 1/2? The common factor of 2 is in the numerator of the first fraction and the denominator of the second. Why does this work?

Don't the numerator and denominator mean different things? Is it because multiplication is commutative? It is not commutative across numerators and denominators though, right?

Bear with me, math people. My math education was very procedural.

When multiplying fractions, say:

2/3 x 3/4

Why can you reduce the factors from both the numerator and the denominator and not have it make a difference?

Such as reducing to 1/1 x 1/2? The common factor of 2 is in the numerator of the first fraction and the denominator of the second. Why does this work?

Don't the numerator and denominator mean different things? Is it because multiplication is commutative? It is not commutative across numerators and denominators though, right?

Yes, it is because multiplication is commutative.

2/3 x 3/4 = 2* 3/(3*4)

you see the 3 is a common factor that occurs both in  numerator and denominator

so, you can write this is 3*2/ (3*4) or (3/3) * (2/4) and 3/3 is, of course 1. Which is what "canceling" really is: factoring out a common factor in numerator and denominator, which gives a factor of 1.

Same with simplifying the 2/4.

Yes, it is because multiplication is commutative.

2/3 x 3/4 = 2* 3/(3*4)

you see the 3 is a common factor that occurs both in  numerator and denominator

so, you can write this is 3*2/ (3*4) or (3/3) * (2/4) and 3/3 is, of course 1. Which is what "canceling" really is: factoring out a common factor in numerator and denominator, which gives a factor of 1.

Same with simplifying the 2/4.

Why does your explanation make so much more sense than the HIG? The HIG just says it doesn't matter and doesn't really explain why.

Right, but some of us just never connect those concepts together that way without explicit instruction and/or reminders & review of relevant principles. I don't think I've ever applied that property to fractions with understanding. I think it is also somewhat spatial. I wouldn't think to flip fractions around in a way that makes the common factors easy to see without being told to do so (despite understanding that the communtative property makes it possible to do so) and the HIG assumes I would know to do that automatically.

But it is also possible that I didn't read the HIG for teaching simplification of fractions, lol.

When I teach multiplying fractions to our developmental students, I usually have them write out all the factors from the numerator and all the factors from the denominator before they cancel. For your example, I'd have them write it as (2)(3) / (3)(4), and then it is more obvious to see. With practice it becomes easier to see and shortcuts can be taken.