Menu

ETC or R&S Phonics ????

Homeschooling6

I have the ETC books. I am trying to decide if I should go with ETC books or Rod & Staff Phonics. R&S looks so complete.

Is ETC for phonics or spelling? Would both be overkill for a 2nd grader? I know I should go with one or the other. What do you all like about either of these programs.

I have both programs on hand but still can't figure out which one to use. Like I said, I like R&S thoroughness. I like ETC is more independent. I can hand it to him and he can do it on his own.

I guess part of my decision would be what is ETC phonics rules or spelling rules or both?

Help me decide;)

Hmm... I haven't used R&S phonics, but depending on how heavy your 2nd grader's schedule is, I don't think it would be too much to do both programs.

Like you said, ETC is easy to do independently. I'd give him a couple of sheets per day to do in addition to your more thorough program. My dd8 just finished ETC this past summer, but dd5 does ETC + Right into Reading (which is a full-blown phonics curriculum).

Go for it! :)

I would choose ETC over R&S, as much as I like R&S for other things.

ETC is phonics, not spelling. R&S's Bible Nurture and Reader series isn't spelling, either; you'd have to get Spelling by Sound and Structure for that.

The first grade BNRS materials has significant sight reading instruction along with its phonics. I don't believe in sight reading. However, if the second grade BNRS focuses more on phonics.

So, really, my recommendation would still be ETC. Unless I could talk you into Spalding (WTRT). :D

I would choose ETC over R&S, as much as I like R&S for other things.

ETC is phonics, not spelling. R&S's Bible Nurture and Reader series isn't spelling, either; you'd have to get Spelling by Sound and Structure for that.

The first grade BNRS materials has significant sight reading instruction along with its phonics. I don't believe in sight reading. However, if the second grade BNRS focuses more on phonics.

So, really, my recommendation would still be ETC. Unless I could talk you into Spalding (WTRT). :D

Not their (R&S) Reading Program. I'm trying to decide between ETC & R&S Phonics. I'm going to have ds use The Reading Lesson for reading right now.

Hmm... I haven't used R&S phonics, but depending on how heavy your 2nd grader's schedule is, I don't think it would be too much to do both programs.

Like you said, ETC is easy to do independently. I'd give him a couple of sheets per day to do in addition to your more thorough program. My dd8 just finished ETC this past summer, but dd5 does ETC + Right into Reading (which is a full-blown phonics curriculum).

Go for it! :)

Maybe I'll try it and see;) I like both for different reasons.

Yikes! And we are suppose to start school tomorrow:001_huh: