Menu

Jefferson City, Missouri

I live in MO and my best friend lives in Jeff City - that is a positive about it :). She doesn't homeschool, but she does have 5 kids ranging from 3-16. It is a small city, the state capital. It is midwestern, friendly, hometown, dull. I believe there are more restaurants and probably better entertainment options there than you might expect in a town of that size because of the capital. There are a lot of homeschoolers in MO in general. Homeschooling is very easy here, feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the law, which people often find confusing at first. 

The only thing you really need to know about Jeff City is Central Dairy has the BEST ice cream ever. :drool: Seriously, if you have any specific questions, I'd be glad to run them by my friend for you. I visit her all the time, but I don't know the city like a resident.

If you are on FB, there is a fairly active Missouri Homeschoolers group. Don't go there for academic questions. People here aren't very WTMish. However, you can probably post there and get contacts for local homeschool groups in Jeff City as well as coops if you want them.

http://www.dbrl.org/reference/subject-guides/homeschooling

http://www.jcymca.org

http://www.visitjeffersoncity.com/sports-and-recreation.php

I don't think the above are links, I'm on my mobile. Sorry. You might have checked out these sites already anyway. I don't live in Jeff but do live in mo. The state Capitol is a great city for govt related field trips!

The Katy Trail runs through Jeff City and is one of our favorite things to do. Check out bikekatytrail.com

Columbia is an easy 30 min trip north and they have tons of things to do given that Mizzou is there and the university research hospital. We love going to Mizzou games. And there was a park in Columbia with a splash pad that we went to years ago that was fun but I can't remember the name of it.

That's all I can think of for now. GL and welcome to Missouri!

Eta: yay! They did link! Learn something new everyday.

Thanks so much to both of you! We're super excited - small town and relaxing was exactly what we were hoping to have for a while. The last few places we've been stationed, we've had to contend with massive crowds, congested highways, and long commutes. Quiet will be a nice change for a few years. We're big into camping, hiking and such - it looks like we'll have no problem finding plenty of that in Missouri! Thanks again for the info - I'll be researching the places and the links you've both posted today. 😄

If you are into hiking and camping, you are coming to a great place. Missouri has a great state parks system. Here is a link to the park finder system. You'd be in the Central region, but I think some of the best parks are those in the Lakes region some of which will be very close for you. Since you are right in the middle of the state, they are all available for an easy day trip drive or a fun overnight camping trip.

If you visit St. Louis and walk toward the Arch and the riverfront expounding on the Age of Expansion and the Gateway to the West, please explain that you are looking backward through the gate. So that even though it is called the Gateway to the "West", Illinois is east. Otherwise they will be scarred for life.