Menu

Chemistry and Physics for Third Grade

MrsWeasley

I'd ideally like to combine chemistry and physics into one year for my third grader. I hate doing science demonstrations. Most of the time, we much rather watch a demonstration online than replicate it ourselves. We do like things that include memory work, games, and more open kinds of projects. Can anyone suggest a program to me?

Elemental Science has both Physics and Chemistry in their classic series for the Grammar Stage.

We did Biology the first 18 weeks, we are doing Chemistry now for 18 weeks and will be doing Physics starting this summer.

I just do the two day plan in one day. I do week one on Tuesday and week two on Thursday, etc. I don't think I will do that this coming year in the logic stage but it has worked out fine for us. My daughter loves science. :)

http://www.elementalscience.com/classic-series/

They do have science demos but you don't have to do them.

I looked at elemental science, but when I looked at their amazon bookstore, I found that Amazon no longer carries one of their required texts. My library doesn't have it either. I really don't want a curriculum that has difficult to find texts.

Supercharged science is more than I'd like to spend, and while I like that they have online demos, I rather use a book as a spine.

Real Science for Kids has courses for Physics and Chemistry (and Biology, Astronomy, and Geology).  Each course is 10 units (chapters) long, so it would be easy to do two in one year.  The experiments use mostly household items, if you choose to do them.  The labs are separate from the text, though, so you could skip them.  The course is written by a homeschool mom, who also happens to hold a PhD in Chemistry.  They're very well written, come in three levels, and are written for homeschoolers.  There are also supplements you can add, if you choose (writing assignments, etc) in the Connections books, which correspond to the main text.