Menu

motivating girls to be more responsible for their work

Julie in MO

Hi,

I have 7th and 5th grade girls. Can you give me some ideas that have worked for you to improve your childrens responsibility toward their schoolwork (getting assignments done on time, without reminding, finishing a project, etc...) They are obedient and helpful little ladies, just prone to want "mom's help" to finish things that can be done independently, or procrastinating. I have a daily log system where they check off what assignments to complete each day - that works great, but things like studying ahead for a test, working on a project, or writing a lab assignment aren't on my log as I wanted them to schedule their own time to finish these since they're more like homework. Do others schedule everything? Would appreciate some encouragement....thanks!

Julie

When you give them a multi-day assignment (project, test in two weeks, etc) have them decide, when you assign it, what needs to be done when and add it to the daily log.

You might go over the project (and the log) with them the first few times, and help them figure out the steps to each and how long they take, so they don't just add the whole project to the day it's due.

Perhaps you are expecting a little too much yet...they may need more scaffolding for a while to learn to structure their time.

I read this article yesterday on the Adolescent brain and it helped me see I can't expect my adolescents to think like adults yet...they still need a lot of adult input and structure and support.

http://www.andrewfuller.com.au/free/TheAdolescentBrain.pdf

My 14yo is very independent but still needs supervision and help to structure her time. Its soemthing that teenagers learn to do, but its not something that i think necessarily comes easily or naturally.

I remember in TWTM SWB says to keep a close eye on your teens even though they can work independently- she said something about her mother not checking on her and how she neded up way behind on Economics...something like that. My dd would be the same.

Your children are younger still, so I would be careful not to expect too much independence, and instead helps them to get there one small step at a time.

she is so amazing, but didn't want to be amazing just for mom. Her work is a million times more beautiful now that she gets to share it with buddies in class. I know that isn't always an option, but I never realized the difference it would make for her. It is worth every minute of planning and correcting to have her with other students for writing and history.

This summer I took a Medical Vocabulary course at the local Community College and the teacher was always reminding everyone what the schedule was although we all had a copy of the schedule in writing. This class had students from the ages of 19 -20 to late 40's. I doubt that all of the students really needed the reminders but I'm sure some of us did.

Being organized and planning ahead is a lifelong skill and I don't think middle school and junior high students will have acquired those skills and be using them independently unless they are just extremely gifted that way.