Menu

Recommendations on books about US States and Presidents please

againstthegrain

I was planning on using SOTW 1 for my DS7 this coming fall for history and then starting DD5 on it the following year. However, I think they will enjoy doing it together at the same pace, and I have no issues waiting a year as I don't feel that DD will get as much out of it as she would if I wait till she's on mostly 1st/2nd versus K/1st work. 

That being said, I decided to tailor my DS's geography and history curriculum to his interests (he enjoys both and we end up having both daily M-Th). I want to do a US States year-long unit with heavy emphasis on the regions of the US. Does anyone have any suggestions for books to supplement or even drive this curriculum.

He's 2nd grade next year but most of his studies are at 3rd grade. He reads and comprehends at a 4th grade level. I am happy to put the work in with him - it doesn't need to be independent focused. 

For history, he'd like to focus on US Presidential history - more than superficial as I'd like to give each president at least 2 days of 20-30 minute lessons.

My dc love the Mike Venezia books about the presidents. There is also a Disney-produced video series that covers the presidents. I used that as a review. It does them 3 at a time. I found it at the library and on YouTube.

Will you be incorporating American history at the same time for pacing or just go through then sequentially?

My dc love the Mike Venezia books about the presidents. There is also a Disney-produced video series that covers the presidents. I used that as a review. It does them 3 at a time. I found it at the library and on YouTube.

Will you be incorporating American history at the same time for pacing or just go through then sequentially?

There will be some incorporation of American history as it's unavoidable - discussing what each president was noted for... but I want to go light on that. He tends to use his free time to take things further regardless. We will come back to American History when both kiddos are in upper elementary/middle school after all the SOTW lessons are complete.... even though we're excelling in everything, I would like to basically push pause have a fun/interesting year on history and geography as both kiddos will gain a lot I think from each other being on the same lesson for SOTW for the next 3-4 years. :)

Mostly, everything I run into has some question on accuracy of facts (president nicknames wrong, presidents credited for each others work etc). I do plan on using the 4-6 minute short clips from the History channel (on their webpage). We'll probably spend an average of 2 days lessons on each president (our history time of day is about 20 minutes.