Menu

Memoria Press' reading program -vs- Dancing Bears?

AimeeM

DS5 is doing Dancing Bears A now. 

I'm using one of MP's special needs programs next year for my younger son, and I'm going to try to move DS5 over to MP first grade as well.

Looking through the TOC and the samples of the first start reading and classical phonics program, it looks like Dancing Bears A definitely covers everything taught in the kindergarten level of phonics in MP. Do you think that's an accurate assessment? Would it be a relatively smooth transition into their reading program (for first grade), from Dancing Bears A?

I've used MP first grade - our K is for sale on used board and 1st will be soon.

I can't speak to Dancing Bears but can say we've been very pleased with MP first grade.  They've adjusted it so you may want to buy used if you want a faster pace or new if you want a slower.  I would say call Tanya at MP.  She's just amazing and can help you with placement.

HTH

Tanya actually just answered my post on the MP forums about this. She said that it sounds like he would be ready for the reading in MP 1 (I posted a sample of an end story in Dancing Bears A)... I will have to modify for his handwriting abilities (or lack thereof; he has problems with fine motor skills), but I think I'll just replace their cursive with the copybook I instead. 

Depending on when you sell it, I might be interested in just getting it off you instead of direct from MP :)

They've adjusted it so you may want to buy used if you want a faster pace or new if you want a slower. I would say call Tanya at MP. She's just amazing and can help you with placement.

HTH

They actually have both versions on the website...You can order the slower pace or the original pace...

I am not familar with Dancing Bears, but if your son can read Little Bear, even with a little help, you would be fine to do MP 1st grade core...The books in 1st grade are read with the child, they read aloud to you, or you go back and forth...