Menu

CLE math all levels

My kids are currently in MUS.  I am feeling like it isn't challenging them enough so I am considering moving them to a different math.  We don't like Saxon. I would like to be able to accelerate them easily when needed.  I have heard good things about  CLE but I am not a math type person. I'm not an idiot about it and have been through college level Calculus but it not easy for me to teach.  Is CLE a good program? What others should I consider? My kids are currently in 3rd, 6th and 8th.

There is a lot of love for CLE on this board. It's not as conceptual (making sure the why is understood vs. just the how) as some programs that might be more challenging. Those would include things like Singapore, RightStart, Math in Focus, Miquon, and Math Mammoth. The heavily conceptual programs are usually mastery, with little review or spiral to them. CLE gets fans because it does have spiral review throughout, and teaches things very incrementally (one new thing a day). I don't think of it as challenging because it is so incremental and spiral, but it's very good instruction. CLE does have some conceptual teaching, but not as much as the above programs.  I spent years in those programs, and my kids did learn with them. They are now getting benefit from the spiral of CLE. AOPS and Beast Academy are different takes and considered challenging. I don't know much about those programs.

CLE should be easy to jump into at this point, while the others would be more difficult I think. If you do CLE, do the placement tests. CLE has a different scope/sequence in some areas, and many kids test in below the level they left in other programs (that's ok/it is easy to accelerate). I would add Singapore Process Skills and Problem Solving, starting with/or at least owning to refer to, the beginning book. They are short enough to go through at a quick pace. The word problems are the weakest part of CLE, and Singapore is particularly strong in that area.  This will also provide challenge. Most people switch from CLE for Algebra, if not in 7th/8th grade. Unless your oldest has weaknesses (try the placement tests). I would probably be shoring up any weak areas if needed, say in fractions, decimals, or percents, and looking for a pre Algebra/Algebra with a good reputation. I'm not sure on the 6th grader. I think I would give the placement test and see what grade level it places the child. If you have obvious weak spots, I would probably switch. If not, I'm not sure i would. Though I did just switch second semester 5th grader without any weak spots. I'm glad I did.

Is MUS working for your children? If it is, then can you just add to it to increase the challenge? I would be hesitant to do away with a program that was otherwise working. I love CLE for my daughter, but after trying mastery based programs that didn't work well for her, I made the switch to CLE for its spiral review. I find it fairly easy to accelerate, but only because I started her at the beginning and the work was easy for her. We also skip the quizzes and tests, and she will be working on math all summer. Also, the first light unit is review, so we skip that. I'm hoping she will be close to where I want her to be next year.

If you are seriously considering CLE, definitely download the free placement tests.

I have five children who have used it. My eldest started in grade 3 and had no problems switching over from MUS. The remaining four have used it from the beginning, interspersed with some side trips using other programs to shore up some skills before moving back into CLE.

I RARELY ever have to actually teach them anything once they hit 3rd grade. The books are pretty much self explanatory and they just read and go. My eldest is just finishing up Gade 7 and I can count on one hand the number of things I have had to walk her through. Usually it was a matter of clarifying what she learned (I would have her go through the steps she learned to complete a problem a couple times with me. Usually she just needed to build up her confidence and understanding before she felt comfortable to proceed.)

Definitely do the placement tests. There is a bit of a learning curve for the very first book you do, but they usually settle in pretty quickly. I had my boys doing Rod and Staff Grade 3 for extra multiplication practice and then switched them into CLE 3rd. It took about two weeks to get rolling with CLE again.

Best wishes!

I've had excellent results with CLE.  However, it might be difficult to put your 8th grader in it because the Sunrise editions end with grade 8.  Algebra 1 is out as Sunrise, but it's very new, and no higher Sunrise levels are available yet.  I'm having to switch in 7th grade because I don't want two years of pre-algebra.

Is MUS working for your children? If it is, then can you just add to it to increase the challenge? I would be hesitant to do away with a program that was otherwise working. I love CLE for my daughter, but after trying mastery based programs that didn't work well for her, I made the switch to CLE for its spiral review. I find it fairly easy to accelerate, but only because I started her at the beginning and the work was easy for her. We also skip the quizzes and tests, and she will be working on math all summer. Also, the first light unit is review, so we skip that. I'm hoping she will be close to where I want her to be next year.

If you are seriously considering CLE, definitely download the free placement tests.

My kids are doing fine with MUS and testing above grade level. However, I am not happy with fact that MUS has decided to align with CCSS. I know it's just one page per lesson at this point but I worry about the future and would prefer to make the switch earlier rather than later if that makes sense.

There is a lot of love for CLE on this board. It's not as conceptual (making sure the why is understood vs. just the how) as some programs that might be more challenging. Those would include things like Singapore, RightStart, Math in Focus, Miquon, and Math Mammoth. The heavily conceptual programs are usually mastery, with little review or spiral to them. CLE gets fans because it does have spiral review throughout, and teaches things very incrementally (one new thing a day). I don't think of it as challenging because it is so incremental and spiral, but it's very good instruction. CLE does have some conceptual teaching, but not as much as the above programs.  I spent years in those programs, and my kids did learn with them. They are now getting benefit from the spiral of CLE. AOPS and Beast Academy are different takes and considered challenging. I don't know much about those programs.

CLE should be easy to jump into at this point, while the others would be more difficult I think. If you do CLE, do the placement tests. CLE has a different scope/sequence in some areas, and many kids test in below the level they left in other programs (that's ok/it is easy to accelerate). I would add Singapore Process Skills and Problem Solving, starting with/or at least owning to refer to, the beginning book. They are short enough to go through at a quick pace. The word problems are the weakest part of CLE, and Singapore is particularly strong in that area.  This will also provide challenge. Most people switch from CLE for Algebra, if not in 7th/8th grade. Unless your oldest has weaknesses (try the placement tests). I would probably be shoring up any weak areas if needed, say in fractions, decimals, or percents, and looking for a pre Algebra/Algebra with a good reputation. I'm not sure on the 6th grader. I think I would give the placement test and see what grade level it places the child. If you have obvious weak spots, I would probably switch. If not, I'm not sure i would. Though I did just switch second semester 5th grader without any weak spots. I'm glad I did.

I saw that CLE goes through Trig. Do most people not stay with it through Trig? My oldest if finishing up Pre-Algebra with MUS and seems to have a good grasp on things. Should I look for something else for him?

I've had excellent results with CLE.  However, it might be difficult to put your 8th grader in it because the Sunrise editions end with grade 8.  Algebra 1 is out as Sunrise, but it's very new, and no higher Sunrise levels are available yet.  I'm having to switch in 7th grade because I don't want two years of pre-algebra.

I saw through Trig on their website. Am I looking at the wrong thing?

OK. So I finally figured out that beyond 800 was not "Sunrise". What is the difference between it and Geometry/Algebra1/Alegebra 2?

The levels beyond their new Algebra one are based on another, not well regarded program.

Here is a thread about their new Algebra, which contains this quote:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/344661-cle-math-has-any-tried-the-new-algebra-1-x-post/

Besides the new Algebra, all the 900+ level CLE math books are based on Alpha Omega's Lifepacs and are not in the same format as the earlier grades. You can see examples on AO's website. I haven't read any great reviews of these. I think there are probably better options available until CLE rewrites those grades.

I would research the types of upper math program options and pick one to stick with for Algebra 1 and forward for him. I really don't think you'd want to stick with CLE post Algebra I, and it really doesn't make sense to switch for just one year.

Are the other kids also at or above grade level? If they are thriving with MUS, I'd probably pick supplemental material to challenge them. I don't know enough to suggest things that work for supplemental, though the Process Skills I mentioned above might be a good addition.