Menu

CLE Math - Has any tried the new Algebra 1? (x-post)

I have been researching Algebra 1 options and was curious if anyone has used or compared CLE's Algebra 1 to other math curriculum yet?

It seems like CLE gets a lot of positive reviews for its Primary math. But I've heard very little about CLE 800, Algebra, Geometry, Trig, etc...

Thanks,

I do have the new Algebra books but I haven't actually used them with my ds. It does look like an accessible and thorough program that can be done independently. I have been using Math Relief instead just because I think ds needs a little more hand holding.

From reviewing it, I can say that it definitely follows CLE's spiral format - introducing one small topic each lesson followed by mixed review. For example in the first light unit, they might introduce radicals and then in LU3 they teach multiplying radicals, then in 4 & 5 simplifying radicals etc.. So they really spread the topics out, rather than grouping them in one chapter on radicals.

Unlike earlier grades, there is no geometry included. This course only covers Algebra and a few statistical topics.

I believe Keniki on this board is the only one who has used it. Here is a thread including her comments.

Besides the new Algebra, all the 900+ level CLE math books are based on Alpha Omega's Lifepacs and are not in the same format as the earlier grades. You can see examples on AO's website. I haven't read any great reviews of these. I think there are probably better options available until CLE rewrites those grades.

Edited by 3andme

I do have the new Algebra books but I haven't actually used them with my ds. It does look like an accessible and thorough program that can be done independently. I have been using Math Relief instead just because I think ds needs a little more hand holding.

From reviewing it, I can say that it definitely follows CLE's spiral format - introducing one small topic each lesson followed by mixed review. For example in the first light unit, they might introduce radicals and then in LU3 they teach multiplying radicals, then in 4 & 5 simplifying radicals etc.. So they really spread the topics out, rather than grouping them in one chapter on radicals.

Unlike earlier grades, there is no geometry included. This course only covers Algebra and a few statistical topics.

I believe Keniki on this board is the only one who has used it. Here is a thread including her comments.

Besides the new Algebra, all the 900+ level CLE math books are based on Alpha Omega's Lifepacs and are not in the same format as the earlier grades. You can see examples on AO's website. I haven't read any great reviews of these. I think there are probably better options available until CLE rewrites those grades.

Thanks 3andme, I look forward to hearing more about your experiences once you use 900. I am also curious if folks could skip 800 and move to this? The reason is that CLE's sequence put students on grade in Algebra 1 in 9th grade. This limits there ability to take Calculus before college.

• 5 months later...

We were in the area and stopped at their warehouse.

It is very solid academically, and I probably would have gone that way if we needed Algebra I a year or two from now. At this point it is still somewhat in testing, and as much as I have loved our six years of experience with them as a publisher, I still prefer programs that have been out for awhile with no errata to deal with.

We've been going to Saxon from Math 700 with no problem. My youngest is almost done with Math 700 and will go to Saxon Algebra 1/2 or Algebra 1 next month. She'll take the placement text for Saxon in a few weeks. Many students are fine going from Math 700 to Math 900, but I would only do that if the CLE placement test indicated that.

I also prefer to get in at least some calculus before college, so that was another factor in choosing Saxon.

Edited by GVA