Menu

WTM Academy History and Lit Class Review

My son is doing ancient literature this year.  He didn't take the corresponding history course because he'd done SWB's THotAW last year and we had a different plan for history this year.  My son likes his lit class and the professor- it's his favorite of the three WTMA classes he's taking this year.  There hasn't been much writing- just one response paper and summaries of the books they've read so I wouldn't call the workload intense.  There's only one class a week instead of two like he has for his other classes.  He hasn't been stressed over the class.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I've had a difficult time deciding if my ds should take Ancient Lit or the Ancient History but

I'm concerned over the amount of essay writing. 

May I ask which teacher your son has for  Ancient Lit and does he enjoy the lectures?

Thank you.

DD is taking the Ancient Literature class this year with Aaron Wells. I feel the reading is rhetoric level, and Mr. Wells tries very hard to keep the lectures upbeat and interesting.  The output comes down to the two exams in my mind because otherwise they are only doing weekly summaries of the reading, which I don't consider to be rhetoric level.  They have turned in one response paper so far this year.  I've had DD use the books they are reading in two short outside essays and will have her take some additional quizzes to better substantiate a grade. YMMV.

DD is taking the Ancient Literature class this year with Aaron Wells. I feel the reading is rhetoric level, and Mr. Wells tries very hard to keep the lectures upbeat and interesting.  The output comes down to the two exams in my mind because otherwise they are only doing weekly summaries of the reading, which I don't consider to be rhetoric level.  They have turned in one response paper so far this year.  I've had DD use the books they are reading in two short outside essays and will have her take some additional quizzes to better substantiate a grade. YMMV.

Melissa, thank you for sharing, and I'm glad it has been a positive experience. I hope you'll find the following helpful to the overall discussion.

During our first year of literature, we reduced the written assignments due to the volume of reading and preparation required for the Ancient, Medieval, and American time periods covered.

We've already discussed slightly reducing the number of texts covered next year, to allow a greater focus on each work, and increase the accompanying written assignments. This should bring it in line with the rhetoric-level expectations.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any questions.

Melissa, thank you for sharing, and I'm glad it has been a positive experience. I hope you'll find the following helpful to the overall discussion.

During our first year of literature, we reduced the written assignments due to the volume of reading and preparation required for the Ancient, Medieval, and American time periods covered.

We've already discussed slightly reducing the number of texts covered next year, to allow a greater focus on each work, and increase the accompanying written assignments. This should bring it in line with the rhetoric-level expectations.

I think it certainly adds to the discussion.  :)  

Yes, this is very helpful! Thank you.