Menu

Answering "why you chose to homeschool" on college apps

In reading college admission requirements over the past few weeks, many of them say that they want to know on your college app why you chose to homeschool.  On some, it looks like the question is directed to the student.  On others, it seems like it is addressed more to both parent and student.  In some ways, this question makes me bristle a little.  Why is this a question reserved solely for homeschooled students?  Why don't they ask private school students to write a few paragraphs about why they chose to go to private school instead of public school?  Why don't they ask public schooled students why they chose to attend public school instead of homeschooling?  I guess it just feels discriminatory that it isn't a question asked of all students, "Why did you choose to spend your high school years the way you did?"

I want to start thinking about this question now and be prepared to answer it.  I have been in the situation where I am asked this question by people IRL, people who probably don't really want to know the answer, and they sort of have a preconceived notion that we think all public schools are horrible, or that we think we are somehow better, or that we are overprotective and want to shelter our kids, etc.  So I am worried about how to express that in a few paragraphs, to someone who doesn't know us or who may be only be giving us a brief glance.  Any thoughts?

^^^^ this

I told dd that she will be asked how she took advantage of all the opportunities that homeschooling provides.

You are an evil, but brilliant woman. :D  I like this angle and I think in light of a recent conversation we had about slow moving children, I may be able to get some mileage out of this.

I think most colleges have regional reps who are at least somewhat familiar with the public and private schools in their area.  When they look at student achievements, they are able to gauge them against other students in the same or similar schools.  They just do not have the same basis for comparison when it comes to homeschoolers though.  They want to get an idea of how the student has taken advantage of options offered to them.  Asking "why" is a starting point for the conversation about your student's educational experience. 

I found the question made writing the homeschool profile portion of the common application somewhat easier as I had specific direction.