Menu

Math Relief Algebra

Guest mcglynnmom

I'm thinking about making an Algebra switch over to TT Algebra or MR. Please share what's not working with TT! Math Relief is on my list of possibilities but I'm pretty sure Alg 1 & 2 must be used to cover many typical Alg 1 topics. I'm okay with that but still in the pondering stages. I love how MR seems to start at the beginning and fill in any gaps. :) At this point, I'm not 100% sure where the gaps are that's keeping my student from being successful with the current curriculum.

I don't have any specific experience with ACT results to report but comparing the ACT Test topics with the Math Relief Algebra I/II courses, it looks like the only ACT topics not covered by MR are patterns and sequences and functions.  Of course, the ACT also includes other non-Algebra topics like probability, statistics, geometry and beginning trig that would be outside the scope of Math Relief. 

Guest mcglynnmom

To be fair, my son doesn't enjoy math, but he's not bad at it. I chose TT because it's self teaching. However, there are quite a few days where he struggles with things. I think the problem is that during the lecture portion there are not enough examples. Then I need to read the chapter or watch the lecture and walk him through it myself anyway. I can tell he's learning but I doubt he'll be able to retain what he's learned by the time he takes the ACT.

I have not used TT but Math Relief definitely has many examples for each topic. In fact, for a proficient math student, it might seem like overkill sometimes. The homework problems also offer considerable practice. The thing about Math Relief is that it really breaks down the problems in a step-by-step fashion and doesn't focus on terminology initially. I think it's especially strong in the area of rational expressions because he does not assume much prior knowledge in fractions.

I haven't actually used MR with a student all the way through. I did use part of Algebra I with my ds but he didn't really like the videos that much and prefers to read material directly so it was not the best fit for him in that way. He is now finishing up CLE's Algebra I and does pretty well with it.

However, as a refresher for myself, I did go through almost all of the MR program except the last parts of Algebra II. I had a pretty good understanding of Algebra beforehand so it really was review for me. Still, there were a few new approaches or explanations that enhanced my understanding that I picked up along the way. I should note that MR does cover the standard topics in Algebra but it does so in a slightly unconventional order compared to standard textbooks.

I've looked at a lot of math programs in an effort to find something that works for ds and my feeling is that it's okay to jump around between different programs (with the exception of maybe Saxon and the Singapore type programs which are integrated math). They all pretty much cover the same things.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking about making an Algebra switch over to TT Algebra or MR. Please share what's not working with TT! Math Relief is on my list of possibilities but I'm pretty sure Alg 1 & 2 must be used to cover many typical Alg 1 topics. I'm okay with that but still in the pondering stages. I love how MR seems to start at the beginning and fill in any gaps. :) At this point, I'm not 100% sure where the gaps are that's keeping my student from being successful with the current curriculum.

You might give some placement tests that are free on-line to see where gaps might be, even if you didn't use that program.  You could just find free resources to target those specific gaps (Khan Academy comes to mind).  For instance, CLE has free placement tests.  So does TT.  And I'm sure others do, too.  It might help you see where the issues are before moving forward....

Also, if percents, fractions, decimals, etc. are an issue then running through the Key to...series might help.

FWIW, CLE is very spiral so if a student is still needing a lot of review to retain the information after learning it, CLE might be a good one to run through and solidify weak areas.  Definitely do a placement test, though.