Menu

Help Make Full Schedule Simple and Achievable

Streamlining curriculum I own- okay, so I posted a few days ago asking about CLE, which looks great, but it would cost over $200 to pick up LA, reading, and Bible. I own sonlight core a,b, and books from c. I own horizons math through 4th grade, FLL 2, Mystery of History 2, wwe 1, and 2, spectrum spelling books for 2nd and 4th, climbing to good english 2, explode the code online, writing strands... As you can tell I'm a curriculum junkie. Please help me streamline this mess for my 9 and 7 year old, 3 yr old running around and baby due in June. I now feel behind because it was hard to get much done from Oct. to Jan. due to pregnancy. I need to figure out how to use what I've got. I feel good about horizons math because it seems to work (even though CLE is tempting me). Please help.

Math-

You like Horizons and have it, so you're good to go, yes?

History-

I'd say either read through your sonlight books (some as read alouds and some as assigned readers) OR do Mystery of History (still tossing some sonlight books in as the mood hits you/them). I wouldn't try and schedule both if you're already feeling overwhelmed.  Too much.

Language Arts-

It seems like you have tons of things for your 7 year old, but not a lot for your 9 year old?

For the younger one again I'd say go with the spelling you have and to pick FLL with WWE OR do CTGE

For your 9 year old you have your spelling, but it doesn't look like you've listed much to choose from for him/her? Which volume of writing strands do you have? You can make grammar/composition work without curriculum if you need to, but it has always proved harder for ME to do it that way despite my best intentions.

If you like Horizons and own it, no need to fix something that isn't broke.  Looks like you are set for math and need a few things for your older one.  It looks like you have more of Sonlight, so maybe go with that one unless you really love MOH.  

For WWE, you can purchase just the teacher's guide and have all 4 years and use the workbooks that you have to go along with it.  However, you  would have to make your own reading selections each week without the workbook, but I like to overlap this with other things we are studying.  You could also coincide with the readings in the workbook for the younger one.  Just a thought.

You are set for spelling.

I'd add grammar for your oldest and do some sort of science study and call it a day.  

You could read from the Bible for your Bible curriculum or purchase a separate Bible curriculum.  I highly recommend Summit/Apologia's Who is God series, especially for your 9 year old.  Well worth the money.

I'm torn on what to add for grammar. Should i just continue in with Climbing to Good English? I looked at their website again and it is same website as rod and staff. Same publisher I guess? Website makes them seem interchangeable, expect CTGE is workbook. I do love Mystery of History. Have you tried doing your own WWE every week? I own the instructor book, so I could do that . Just thought that might add too much to my load. I'll take a look at it again. Thanks for the thoughts.